1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Speaker suggestions?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Stratman, May 10, 2014.

1. Stratman

Stratman Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Has anyone here got any suggestions as to improving the existing stock stereo in a Gen3 prius 2? With the limitations on power I was thinking of a more efficient set of speakers to increase SPL. The best I have found were at a site that has been mentioned here somewhere but don't recall the name of it. They had a set of Kenwoods that were 94db. Since I don't know the sensitivity of the ones currently in there, I can't really make a comparison (kind of like knowing the score of only one team in a football game). I would need to increase sensitivity by at least 3db to even make it worthwhile. 6-9db would just about double SPL. At the stock output power of this thing, distortion numbers on the speakers don't even come into play. Turned up to 10, it's amplifier distortion and has little to do with the speakers.

If anyone has upgraded their speakers and can give me the first 3 numbers on the basket (frame) that would be a big help in determining who actually manufactured them and their specs. A name on there might help but most brands are made for them by someone else.

2. lopgok

lopgok Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the best bang for the buck is getting decent dash speakers and adding a bigger blocking capacitor. I have changed all the speakers in the car. The front door speakers make a minor difference. The rear door speakers make virtually no difference. The OEM speakers are crap.Anything you buy will be significantly better. I used the polk audio dxi350 speaker for the dash. Before that I used the pioneer ts a878 speakers. The polks are a bit more efficient and easier to come by.

There is virtually no dampening material in the doors. Adding a bit when you are switching speakers is a good idea. If you use the crutchfield speaker adapters for the door, you will almost certainly have to drill one bolt in the door panel.