1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Speaker Troubleshooting/Suggestions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by PankakeZillA, Jul 12, 2017.

1. PankakeZillA

PankakeZillA New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello all! This is my first post in the forums! :D

I tried to find information on speaker replacement/troubleshooting and came up short for the problem I'm encountering.

I bought a 2009 Package 2 about a month ago with 92k on it. I discovered that both rear speakers and the front lower right door speaker did not work (I played around with the audio settings and couldn't get any sound out of them). However, the front lower left speaker and both front, upper small speakers worked. On my way to work this morning, the lower left speaker also lost power (no audio whatsoever). All that's working at the moment are the 2 front upper speakers...no bass or sound coming from any of the lower door speakers. I'm not that familiar with audio systems, but I'm open to trying to problem solve before going to a dealership. Just not sure what the first step would be at this point. It seems as though all 4 speakers need to be replaced, but I'd like to know if there's a way to troubleshoot before buying the new speakers. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Also forgot to mention that I do not have the JBL system in my Prius, just the basic system as far as I'm aware.

2. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    you can remove the door panels and connect known good speakers to the wiring to see if they work, if they do, you know its just blown speakers. since the base system is really low quality junk, you might consider installing aftermarket speakers and head unit anyway. dealer is gonna charge too much money to replace bad components with the same poor quality crap that it already has.

PankakeZillA likes this.
  3. PankakeZillA

PankakeZillA New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the tips! I think I'll start with that and hope it's just faulty speakers :)

Will update once they've been tested