1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Speaker Wiring

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Borninblue, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Borninblue

Borninblue Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You will have to have a little patience with me as I am not experienced with the meter. I attached a photo of how I tested it. I reversed both wires and no reading. This is an old meter, but I tested it inside electrical outlet and the needle does move. With the battery hooked up to the same wires I do see it move and hear it “thump.”

Attached Files:

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Looks like you have the meter on the right setting. Can't tell if you have the probe in the right socket in the meter, out of frame. Sometimes you have to hop contacts to switch modes.

If you think the speaker is hooked up to the other end of those wires, then you're probing the right place- and it appears there is a break in the connection between the meter and the speaker.

Sanity check: touch one probe to the other. The meter should swing to 100% (zero resistance)

...and just to point out- your test of line power in the house does not require the meter to have a good battery. However, the resistance test of the speaker does require a good battery in the meter.

#42 Leadfoot J. McCoalroller, Jan 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  3. Borninblue

Borninblue Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The meter does not move when I touch them together. There is a small ride dial on the side the says “ohms adjust”. I played with that and nothing. Reveresed proves and nothing.

Attached Files:

4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Your meter has a dead battery.

Johnny Cakes and Borninblue like this.
  5. Borninblue

Borninblue Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You are correct sir, wow I feel foolish. OK back to checking this out...I’ll be back soon.

6. Borninblue

Borninblue Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OK, I’m at a dead end. Meter is working and I got a reading on the meter from the speaker connections. I tested the wires coming out of the door and as expected no reading, because I believe the signal comes from the kick panel then back up through the door.

I tested the clip where the wires were cut at the end and there is no signal going to them. I’m thinking maybe the break is at that connection and I could cut the wires going into the clip and connect them directly on the other side. Doing this I’m assuming that signal is good up to that point....so not sure.

Plus I’m not sure if I tested the signal properly. I turned the radio on and set it to the ohm setting and then placed the probes on the wires. Getting frustrated, but not willing to give up yet. My other question would be why whoever did this would have a reason to cut the speaker wire at the kick panel? I could see when replacing a factory speaker but not that short strain of wire under the kick panel. I attached a photo of where I am at now.

Attached Files:

7. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    OK you won't normally see activity on the meter in resistance mode when trying to look for output from the stereo. You ought to get some minor twitching if you change it to one of the 15V ranges but it's likely to be faint as that's still kind of a high range. Worth trying though.

Borninblue likes this.
  8. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Guess: Somebody installed a really nice set of speakers in this car, including a set of separate tweeters. They cut the wires at the kickpanel to accommodate a crossover pod, and then ran the pass-through output from the crossover back into the door.

Then they were a bit hasty backing it all out and putting the OE gear back in, and I bet his new car sounds great.

Borninblue likes this.
  9. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Seen install shops done things similar and worse, funny how you wouldn't think pro shops not do this kind of thing.

Borninblue likes this.
  10. Borninblue

Borninblue Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Tried the 15 volt setting and no movement on the wires coming out of the clip-frustrated, thinking of running a separate speaker line to the back of my head unit. Or just cutting the wires on the other side of the clip and seeing if I can make a connection that way. Really don’t want to run a new speaker line because that means I have to take off dash again and all that jazz:(

11. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I think you should get the head unit out again anyway. Then put the meter in resistance mode and do a continuity test on the front speaker lines. Free bonus: you'll get positive confirmation of polarity at the kickpanel so you can tag the wires or make your own color chart.

Get into the body side of the 10-pin shell on the head unit, the one that has the stereo power & front speakers. You should be able to get continuity between headunit-pin-2 and kickpanel-pink, and also from headunit-pin-6 to kickpanel-violet.

Oh, just back-checking something... your photo on post #46 shows a connector block with the two cut speaker lines dangling and disconnected. Was it still disconnected when you did your voltmeter test? I do think that needs to be plugged in..

#51 Leadfoot J. McCoalroller, Jan 1, 2019
    Borninblue likes this.
  12. Borninblue

Borninblue Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good suggestion, will the door speakers have their own separate line or will they be connected with the dash speakers going into the head unit?The aftermarket harness was really just plug and play. I soldered all of the like colors and plugged the harness in. I really don’t know which color goes to what speaker. Unless it will be the same going to the back of the radio, violet and pink coded as it is in the door?

Also yes, the block was plugged in when I did the volt test.

13. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Door & dash are wired in parallel on the front, so you'll only see one pair of wires (+/-) for each door. |'m not certain, but I think the connector block you pictured in post 46 is where door and dash separate. I think the door & dash lines are in the "near" plug (frame left) and the actual stereo outputs are in the "far" plug. (frame right) This block is where they get split in parallel.

14. Borninblue

Borninblue Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I’m a little lost when you say I should be able to get continuity from the head unit to the door, not sure how I would test that. If the actual signal run is in the near plug, couldn’t I just try and splice in from there and bypass the block?

15. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    For that test, you would click the kickpanel connector back into place, connect either red or black meter probe to the pink cut end, then remove the head unit, and put the other meter probe on pin 2 of the 10-pin connector. Needle should go full over to zero Ω on the top scale.

Move the both probes, one side to kickpanel violet cut end, other side to pin 6 of the 10-pin behind the head unit. Should get the same result.

You could, but it does depend on being certain of which end is which. You've already got an if.

16. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I put some labels on one of your photos to help explain what I think is going on. Please don't take it as guaranteed-factual; I'm not looking at a wiring diagram. See if it helps clarify my other responses?

wire.jpeg

17. Borninblue

Borninblue Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes thank you! That is exactly the way I was thinking. I could just pull or cut the wires from the other side of the pin and test that side. Would tell me then for sure if signal is dead from head unit or somewhere along the run. Or pull the head unit and go that route. If the dash speaker works I can’t see how it would be behind the head unit...

18. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Look up "backprobing." It's a less-destructive technique for this kind of test. Nice meters come with sharper probes, but really all you need are a couple of stick pins or straightened staples, and you can get started too. Probably lots of youtubes showing how.

Borninblue likes this.
  19. Borninblue

Borninblue Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, Maybe I will try to get some testing from the back pins first, just very tough to get to.

20. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just poured my first cup...so be patient please. Obviously someone did some kind of major hack job and made a big mess. We still haven't identified that the "original" pigtails/plug is the correct one or why it was there. Step back for a minute and look at page 2 of the print...only...for now. If those wires you exposed behind the kick panel are actually at plug Li1, there will be at least 11 (eleven) pins, but likely more. First red flag...how could the installer power the remote start off speaker wire outputs.and why? Second red flag is the mess with the door speaker/wiring. Why are there 2 blue wires going to the speaker...if I see your 4th picture correctly.

As to your last post...don't check "resistance" back to the head unit (HU) unless you disconnect the dash speaker first. You are sending 9 VDC back to that speaker/capacitor and the HU. You can check for volts output with VDC selected on your meter though.

#60 frodoz737, Jan 1, 2019
    Borninblue likes this.