1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Speaker Wiring

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Borninblue, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Borninblue

Borninblue Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No, just double checked again. With meter set at AC and DC 15, radio on no voltage. I straighted wired the door speaker to just the radio leaving the harness disconnected from the dash speaker and it plays fine. Car is a mess right now all torn apart lol

2. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I sure wish I was there...this is aggravating for me too not being able to poke around. If all else fails and you give up...restore everything to the way it was before you started...but...leave the door and kick panels off. Then find a good Stereo shop to give it a look see. Don't let then try to talk you into upgrades at this time either...just trouble shoot why you have no door speaker working.

3. Borninblue

Borninblue Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I appreciate all your help, not willing to give up yet. Thinking of taking passenger side door off since he probably wired it the same way?

4. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Good man. The circuit is simple, it just tearing everything apart and finding the right connectors and where they spliced and diced that's not. I will swing by my Dealership in the morning (I work tonight) and talk to one of the guys I know there about exactly where those connectors are if you have not found the problem by then.

5. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Not a bad idea... if I have followed correctly, the current problem is that you don't know which wires are getting the LF speaker output from the head unit bay to the left front footwell, where it should split for dash & door. And you've got a temp bypass in place.

Borninblue likes this.
  6. Borninblue

Borninblue Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would really appreciate that. I’m going to take the wife’s car to work tomorrow and leave everything apart. This bugs the heck out of me because the dash speaker is working. I have to find out where the break is or where the input starts for the driver side door speaker.

7. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Borninblue likes this.
  8. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That said...use the other file I sent you about pulling the A/B pillar and speaker cover to access the dash speaker. Disconnect the battery and let it sit for a while first...so you don't blow the airbag though. ;) I'm off.

9. Borninblue

Borninblue Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OK final post for the night. Took off passenger side and there is still an aftermarket speaker in there...why leave one factory and not take the other which makes me wonder more. See the pics.

I was looking at the resources you posted...specifically the dash speaker replacement. Not sure what value it will have to take the dash speaker apart, the wires go underneath the dash not along the pillar. From the photos it looks like to pink wires and two violet going to the dash speaker.

Attached Files:

#89 Borninblue, Jan 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  10. Borninblue

Borninblue Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey Frodoz any other insight? I still have everything apart scratching my head...

11. Borninblue

Borninblue Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Special thanks to Frozodz who has been providing me help with the HACK job the previous owner left me. We were both about to give up when he told me to take one last look and see if anything was going on with the dash speaker. I took the dash apart and behold an aftermarket speaker with another hack job. I am assuming this is why I have no signal at the door, but not sure what wires to connect now or how to fix it. I feel bad to keep on bother Frodoz. I attached some pictures to what I found...any help would be appreciated!! I couldn’t have ever gotten this far without you guys helping me. I don’t give up easily and right now the wife is on me because she looked inside the car and said I destroyed it because I have pieces and parts everywhere lol...would like to fix and get it back together as soon as possible.

Attached Files:

Raytheeagle likes this.
  12. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Glad to help...as most here are. Your on your own with the Misses though.

13. Borninblue

Borninblue Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Finally! The speaker is working, not sure if I have the +\- correct because the markings were cut off For the wires coming through the door. Sounds OK though for a factory junk paper speaker. I do have the “check hybrid system” light on now. I’m assuming it’s from all the disconnections and starting and shutting off the car. Going to disconnect battery and clear the codes here in a minute. Thanks again Frodoz!

I think she will be OK after I bring home a bottle of wine tonight and tell here this project is over lol.

14. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The check hybrid system is "likely" the 12 VDC battery being low...much like you would get going through a drive thru car wash in neutral when the hybrid battery is low. After reset...driving it around the block should make her all better...especially considering the "relatively" low mileage.

Blame it on me...I've been married +32 years and have pretty tough hide.

15. Borninblue

Borninblue Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    She is all better now after the reset. Topic for another area about I am debating buying the prolong system to make my traction battery last longer. Just don’t know if the cost is worth it versus buying new when it needs it. Wondering how long the prolong will actually extend the life....

Raytheeagle likes this.
  16. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Speaker polarity per print.

LH pink +, violet -

Rh green +, blue -

17. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'll let some one else plead that case. Have a good night.

Borninblue likes this.
  18. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I have the Prolong equipment and it works well for me as well as the 2 other members I share the charger and Intelligent Discharger with;).

I also own a 2017 Lexus RX450h and the battery performance of our 2010 Prius II with 194 k miles is similar:).

While no one knows how much longer the battery will last (as no one can predict how long it will last), I think my odds are improved and if I have a module go out (which I feel is highly unlikely), I have the correct equipment to rebuild with;).

Sounds like your audio project is now sorted. Good luck and keep us posted (y).

m.wynn, RMB and Borninblue like this.