1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

speakers not working

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by tim coger, Jul 24, 2019.

1. tim coger

tim coger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a 2008 base model car with a Matsushita stereo model # 86120-47200 (AM/FM, CD and aux). All speakers stopped working except the smaller dashboard tweeters near the wing mirrors. Thinking the problem was the radio unit itself, I bought a replacement OEM unit, installed it and still have the problem. Highly unlikely there is a problem with two radios. Is there an "amp" somewhere else in the car that might be bad? Fuses?

2. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    the base model doesn't have an amp. possibly a previous owner added one. look under the rf seat. that's where the jbl amp goes.

3. tim coger

tim coger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There is no amp under the front passenger seat.

4. gallager

gallager New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you ever get your issue resolved? I am having the exact same issue right now , but before I replace the head unit and speakers I want to know if someone else resolved it another way?

Genio951 and PensacolaRevitup like this.
  5. gallager

gallager New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    did you ever get this issue resolved?

6. tim coger

tim coger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Gallagher. Yes I got the speakers fixed. Took it to a pro. All the speakers were shot. Replaced them with new speakers. Pro couldn't fund any reason for the bad speakers.

SM-G930T ?

7. Peter Gallant

Peter Gallant New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So, the speakers were blown out? Nothing wrong with the wiring, etc... 'Cause I got the same problem with my 2009 Prius, all the door speakers stopped working at the same time. Just the small twitters are working on top of the dash. Thanks,

8. Robbiebravo50

Robbiebravo50 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah. There is a amp under the passenger seat.. jpl model. That ties into radio/ MDF
    If u go into MDF. Press audio go into audio settings.... if thers no response “ possible” amp problem if does respond still doesn’t omit the problem. I had advantage my friend had a 2006 I switch out with mine ( same corresponding part numbers). No luck
    Am still tryn at getting my radio working

#8 Robbiebravo50, Sep 9, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2020
  9. Andrew Pierce

Andrew Pierce Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I had the exact same issue with my 2008. All the speakers were shot. Very strange, but they all went at once. Anyway, I found used speakers on eBay and swapped them out in about 90 minutes. Going on 2 years so far and they still work.

It is worth noting, I had the aux plug into my iPhone when the all blew. I was listening to a podcast, nothing too loud! Anyway, thought to include that if maybe it has something to do with them blowing all at once.

10. Kiwibird

Kiwibird Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Yes same problem, I removed the door trim connected external speakers and they work perfect, 4x speakers were shot for some reason... Except the tweeters. Problem solved by replacing the 4 speakers. It was a pain removing the speakers as they were riveted to the door instead of screws... What a stupid idea by Toyota!!

11. Dwal

Dwal New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    how much did it cost to replace?