1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Specialty tools for intake, egr valve/cooler?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Higgins909, Jun 20, 2022.

1. Higgins909

Higgins909 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Weekend ran short. I'm trying to figure out what tools I need to take my intake manifold, egr pipe, valve, cooler off and clean them. So far I've been able to add hose clamp pliers to the list and that's it. I have a set of socket and ratchets. Seems like 10mm is the smallest that I've been able to see so far. Long needle nose pliers. Various brushes, which I need to figure out what I want with the tools I have. I have ratcheting wrenches, which are a bit thicker and wider but on the short side. Maybe 2-3 cans of brake cleaner.

Does anyone have a list of the tools or more of a specialty tool needed? I've been trying to go through the nuts about bolts and it's spotting if they mention tools. The list they have in the description seems off... Like 3 different ratchet sizes, multiple of whatever tool.

Thanks,
    Higgins909

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As a long time researcher who lacks much experience with this one, but will soon, I'm asking myself the same question!

Of all the EGR videos I've watched and things I've read my guess is that it comes down to cleaning tools. There so many ways to clean things... Finding your favorite weapon to clean a dirty EGR is my bet on what's most important... Some say do it by soaking and I'd rather do something faster, not sure yet?

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    See first link in my signature.

Higgins909 likes this.
  4. Eddie25

Eddie25 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The $80 pressure washer from Harbor Freight will be your best friend on this job if you don't have one. I soaked my EGR cooler in purple power and then pressure washed it and it was SO much better than the first time I did it with just a wire on a drill and brake cleaner (the wire will still come in handy though).

A nice small sized non-metal pipe cleaner brush for the intake manifold's EGR holes (not really talked about in the video) helps a lot, those are what was clogged and causing misfires the last time I cleaned mine.

12mm ratcheting wrench, E8 torx socket, various socket extensions, and maybe a deep 12mm socket.

Higgins909 likes this.
  5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Tools I found useful/invaluable to do the EGR cooler and EGR valve:

A telescoping magnetic pickup tool for holding on to nuts and metal gaskets while removing or assembling, so they don't fall. Also handy for retrieving stuff that does fall.

A good hose clamp removal tool. I used a combination of the cable activated one that can reach into tight places, long reach angled needle nose pliers and a smaller size water pump plier with an angled head on all the hose clamps.

You'll be wrestling a multitude of coolant hoses off and on too. So a set of hose pliers and picks are almost a must as well. Some hoses are very difficult to get a hold of because they are in tight spaces with cables and obstructions making it very hard to get any kind of leverage on the hose to get it off or on the fittings. The hoses will invariably be stuck on the fittings pretty good too, so prying them a bit, carefully with a hose pick, will allow some of the slippery coolant to act as a lubricant.

Also necessary is a multitude of wrenches, sockets, and various lengths of socket extensions.

For the small intake manifold cleaning of the clogged up egr passages near each outlet of the intakes, get a set of nylon bristle drinking straw brushes, the kind used to clean out metal drinking straws. They are the perfect size for those passages.

Screenshot_20220620-070648_Amazon%20Shopping.jpeg Screenshot_20220620-070918_Amazon%20Shopping.jpeg Screenshot_20220620-071010_Amazon%20Shopping.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Higgins909 likes this.
  6. Higgins909

Higgins909 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Found it, thanks.
    What kind of wire? I have 1 old wire hanger I'm willing to sacrifice. Their electric pressure washer, 1750 psi 1.3GPM? I guess I just worry about getting water in the engine. I don't have a air compressor. I've got various firearm cleaning brushes. I was thinking a .223/.22lr would be perfect for those little holes by the manifold, but I don't have any sizes.

7. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    You need an 8mm e-torx wrench or socket to remove the M8x1.25 studs.

They are used on BMW's. Here is the best deal on a set, although you only need one.

4pc Star/Female Torx/E Ring Spanner Tool Set E6 - E24 Wrench TE541

#7 Georgina Rudkus, Jun 20, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2022
    Higgins909 likes this.
  8. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Don't worry about water in the EGR cooler. If you have a heat gun, blow hot air through the cooler, it's stainless steel and can take the heat with no problem. The water will be cooked off and exit as water vapor.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Mendel Leisk and Higgins909 like this.
  9. Eddie25

Eddie25 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yeah the green Portland one, you have to have a coupon for $80, but there usually is one, as there is currently at my store. You could pick up some pipe cleaner brushes and a heat gun (probably just use a blow dryer if you have one) there as well for ultra-cheap.

The wire I used was stripped copper house wire. I tried a coat hanger and it was too thick. Turned out OK without any wire the second time I did my EGR/intake, but it would have been slightly quicker with it, I think. You attach it to a drill and spin it through the cooler fins.

10. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I found that the stiff stainless steel strips used to stiffen wipler blade inserts (from old worn out ones) ideal for rodding out the EGR cooler.

Years, ago, anticipating the need for cleaning the egr cooler, I bought a used one off of eBay for $45 delivered when they were really cheap.

Taking my time, I used two rubber stoppers of the appropriate size to hold full strength Krud Kutter inside the EGR cooler, inspected, drained and refilled the liquid every week for six weeks. The sixth week, the liquid was absolutely clear.

At that point, I knew that the EGR cooler was entirely as clean as a brand new one.

#10 Georgina Rudkus, Jun 20, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2022
    8hawkss and Mendel Leisk like this.