1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Specific Question on Accelleration

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Winston, Aug 15, 2007.

1. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Sep 2 2007, 12:49 AM) [snapback]505412[/snapback]</div>
    I was responding to a post where a person had said they pulse up to 40mph (implying a speed limit on the road of at least 40mph) then coast or glide down to 28mph before pulsing back up to 40mph again. I was not responding to coasting to traffic lights that are or are about to turn red but this rolling road block that is frustrating the people behind by pulsing and gliding to less than 3/4 of the speed limit.

I personally coast to red lights and always have done, well I have since well before I got a Prius. I don't believe there is any point in racing to spend the most time at a red light but I don't put my desire to squeeze an extra mile from this one gallon of petrol above the convenient use of the road by other road users.

As for acceleration from a stop, lets look at traffic lights. I get myself going with reasonable hast, this allows more cars through the light before it changes. If your concern is really for the environment then why are you happy to stop several other road users getting across the lights so now they are left at the red light idling for an extra 90 seconds or so. Over all you saved a drop and a half of petrol but cost the 3 cars that you prevented getting over the intersection used far more fuel as they accelerated then braked again to wait for the next change and they will sit idling for that 90 seconds.

I don't begrudge you or anyone trying to squeeze an extra mile from a gallon of petrol but be considerate of those around you, if your not they will likely be tucked up your behind acting agressive. I manage to achieve 55+mpg and I never EVER have people tucked up behind me because I'm not holding anyone up.

Please drive a Prius but otherwise go with the flow and don't give people the impression a Prius is a slow little car that old men in lawn bowling hats drive. Bust those economy records but just because you are happy to drive at 3/4 of the speed limit for no other reason but economy then be understanding that other road users are going somewhere and would not have anticipated a rolling road block.

If I have offended any sensible drivers with my posts I apologise. If I offended any selfish drivers, build a bridge, get over it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Aug 31 2007, 09:55 PM) [snapback]504817[/snapback]</div>
    Hobbit
    In case you missed it in the massive 3 pages of this thread this was my first post in this thread. I have highlighted something you may have missed

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Greenkeeper @ Sep 3 2007, 12:49 PM) [snapback]506140[/snapback]</div>
    Thankyou!!! Someone else has worked it out.
    Do you know why I looked at a Prius? (of course you don't) Because it was the size car I needed to replace my aging Camry, got good fuel economy AND I was startled by the acceleration of a Prius taking off from a traffic light. That driver's 1 reasonable acceleration has now got me on board saving 3 to 4 litres of petrol for every 100km I drive and the corresponding emissions reduction. My Camry was sold to a guy who would otherwise be driving his 3.8 litre car to work, saving another 3 litres of petrol for every 100km he drives while his wife uses the bigger car to do short trips locally like kids to school and shopping.

Just a small point,
    Accelerating from 0 up to 60km/h at a fuel consumption rate of 26L/100km over 100 metres would consume 26ml or 26cc of petrol. There are 38 of these events in a litre of petrol.
    To accelerate from 0 to 60km/h at a consumption rate of 13l/100km (1/2 of above) over 200 metres would use 26ml or 26cc of petrol. There are 38 of these events in 1 litre of petrol.

3. psikot

psikot New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Winston @ Aug 15 2007, 05:44 PM) [snapback]496445[/snapback]</div>

it is best to accelerate normally, the key is to get to glide mode as soon as possible without having to stop quickly. i say accelerate normally or quickly.