1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Speed Sensor Defeat Update

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by efusco, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Eisenson

Eisenson New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    THANKS yet again to the gurus here.... I had found both the phone and the map issues annoying, and welcomed this info.

In my case, I pulled the right hand panel - picked a spot and drilled two holes for a pair of side-by-side micromini spst toggles to which I'd soldered 2' lengths of twisted 24ga wire. I spotted those purple wires as they went into the bundle, slit the tape and wire tie binding the bundle to give me some working room, found and snipped wire 1 (at the moment had no clue which it was), and made crimped connections, then did wire 2, and replaced the wire tie hiding my work. The panel snapped right in - though I had a moment's worry wondering if the switches would interfere with something (I had not checked very well).

Total time <1 minute to pull the panel, five minutes to figure out what to do and find the parts, and 15 minutes to do it.

Worked as advertised, but I didn't find out which switch was which until I tried them.

2. dsm42

dsm42 New Member

Here's another endorsement of Brosnan's solution.

With his help, I installed the SPST switch, and it is working perfectly. Just a few comments:

1) To avoid soddering, I found this switch with the wires already attached at my local hardware store:
    Push Button Canopy Switch (6352)
    http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.j...rentPage=search

I then used snap connectors and a crimping tool to connect the wires. The only disadvantage is that with the button, you can't tell visually whether it's on or off...

2) It seems to me that if you disconnect the speed sensor before moving at all, then there's no limit to the time you can enter info on the screens. I'll test this out the next time I take a longish drive...

3) After re-engaging the switch, it takes longer for the system to become accurate if you're driving in an area with intermittent GPS signals (e.g. a forest or a city).

4) This should be obvious, but guidance doesn't work when the switch is engaged. This weekend, I was merrily entering all our speed-dial numbers on the telephone screen (with my wife driving) when we drove right past the exit the navigation system would have told us to get off...

In any case, I'm very happy with this solution, and many thanks to Brosnan!

Dave.

3. mboileau

mboileau New Member

I'm adding the two switches for independent speed sensor default for the NAV and phone. I want to tap into the connector that Brosnan found behind the A/C vent next to the radio, but I can't figure out exactly where those two wires are. I also can't figure out how to get the stupid connectors apart. There are two rows of connectors side by side in the monster bundle. Can anyone tell me exactly which connector is #2 and are the wires the 11th and 12th from the bottom or top?
    I'd really love to finish this up over the weekend.

Incidently, I got two automotive rocker switches from Radio Shack, a bag of fast-on tabbed connectors and a bag of inline connectors. I'm using the inline connectors in order to allow for the two switches to be easily disconnected and the original wires to be reconnected. I also mounted the two switches on the plastic cover beneath the dash in the center. It's easily accessible, tilted up and probably less costly to replace than a finished dash piece should I choose to remove it permanently.

Thanks for a quick response about the connector (I hope!).

4. dsm42

dsm42 New Member

I finally was able to do some experimenting this morning, and it locked out 1.5 miles after starting (which, in city driving, took 10 minutes!). After idling stationary for a long time, I tried again, and once again it locked out after 1.5 mi (which took less than 5 minutes this time).

So, bottom line, it leaves plenty of time for the passenger to enter an address at the start of a trip....

Best,
    Dave.

5. brosnan

brosnan Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    mboileau:
    Center Connector #2 is the whole block of connectors
    in the photo in this post: http://priuschat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?...p?p=22788#22788

The wires you want are in the column marked 5E in the photo.
    5E is the fifth column starting from the left. Counting up from the
    bottom, pin 16 of 5E is blank, pins 15 and 14 are striped white and
    dark, pin 13 is pink and the two pins you want are 12 and 11 - both
    purple.

I would also love to know how to pull pins out of this connector block.
    Since I couldn't figure it out, I cut the wires instead and tapped into 'em.

6. mboileau

mboileau New Member

Thanks Brosnan. I'm not sure why, but I can't see the photo in your post at all. I've tried two different browsers with no success. Maybe you can PM it to me as backup. Regardless, I think I can poke around given the description you provided.

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's probably your Firewall Settings--are you blocking ads? That'll prevent you from seeing those images as they're read as 'ads' by some firewalls. (See my post about Zone Alarm Pro 5.0!)

8. mboileau

mboileau New Member

Thanks Evan! That was exactly it. I'm running Mozilla Firefox 0.9 which has a built-in ad block utility. Fortunately, it also lets you see the URL to the image that's blocked, so I just pulled it into Photoshop (I needed to enlarge it a bit). Thanks Brosnan for clear photos and instructions!

9. mboileau

mboileau New Member

OK, I couldn't stand the wait. Just finished up the wiring in my office parking lot during my lunch hour. Took me about 20 minutes. Even had enough time left to take her for a spin and test out the mods. Works great! Imagine actually being able to go through voice mail during my commute and actually having the POI Info button active so I can call ahead to my destination.... I'm taking her in tomorrow morning for the SSC 40D work. Now I can show off this stuff to the service guys. I don't think any other enlightened owners use my dealership.

Can't wait 'til Dave's EV stalk mod comes next week.

10. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I think I personally might avoid showing off the mods to the guys that do warranty work on the car.

11. Don

Don New Member

Thanks for the help here, you guys are great! I'll be putting two defeat switches in later this week
    Thanks
    Don

12. mboileau

mboileau New Member

Just as a follow-up, my dealer knows about my speed defeat switches, as well as the EV mod. Actually, the service guy loves talking to me about this stuff as a way to educate himself. As far as this dealer goes, as long as the "check engine light" doesn't come on because of the mods, and as long as there are no diagnostic codes directly related to these changes, they don't have a problem with it. As I described before, I've installed all mods using fast-on tab connectors rather than soldering, so each mod can be easily removed if it ever becomes a problem.

13. Steve Goldenberg

Steve Goldenberg New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Speed Defeat: Which violet wire is for the phone?

Since I already did the GPS speed sensor defeat, I just want to cut the "phone" wire. In that row, from the bottom, there are a B/W, another B/W, a Pink, then the two violet wires (5E-11 & 5E-12).
    Which one is for the phone?

14. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    5E-12 is the BT Speed Sensor Wire, 5E-11 is the NAV wire.

15. Speedracer

Speedracer New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    http://www.mach-1jp.com/tvsystem/prius.htm
    Here is link for Japanese version of speed sensor defeat swich for Prius,
    In Japan when order with Navi it com with TV/tuner to able watch TV program when car is parked. But most people would like to watch TV while car is motion. This is the switch to make it happen. It says would not effect Navi but will effect to the fuel comsunption screen, its $28 for wire harness and switch

16. Steve Goldenberg

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks Evan. I cut the lower of the two violet wires as you said. It works fine. I ordered a Radio Shack small black rocker switch which I'll mount on the A/C vent housing when it arrives.

17. brosnan

brosnan Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Speedracer -thanks for the photo.

It's interesting to note the TV speed sensor defeat swith has the same effect as the BT speed sensor defeat - missing 5 minute interval bars.

That switch looks like it might come in handy for some US projects also.
    And maybe the connectors would match up to the video input connectors on the US model, which could be very helpful for backup cam's, etc.

Here's a machine translation of the "Mach 1 full auto TV system" text:

It is summary "of FULL AUTO TV SYSTEM" of the pre- mortar.

It is the vehicle information picture of the genuine monitor.
    It is reset state.
    ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓

Usually this way the bar graph of energy recovery and fuel economy every of 5 minutes is indicated.
    ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓

チョッ and the pin doing to become dim, it increases, but MACH? 1 full automatic TV system is installed when,
    Collection of energy is indicated, but the bar graph of fuel economy every of 5 minutes stops being indicated.
    Average fuel economy, distance and instantaneous fuel economy operate normally.
    ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓

That and, the picture of the tire of this energy monitor picture stops turning.

Description above in regard to understanding, please buy (^ ^;)

Fuel economy indicatory version
    March 15th delivery start!
    XXYEN 26000 (including tax)
    Installation 5000 Yen (including tax)
    ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓

Make wait it did! The switch you attach fuel economy indicatory version and, sell.
    If the fuel economy indicatory switch is turned to ON, fuel economy calculation starts from that time, is indicated.
    (However at the time of switch ON as for looking at TV it is not possible)

Specification use method
    Genuine, the bar graph of this fuel economy, when turning the key to ON from, is calculated in every 5 minutes, is indicated.

MACH? When the fuel economy indicatory switch of the TV system of 1 is turned to ON, fuel economy calculation starts from that time, being to be indicated, does, but
    When turning the key to ON and when turning the fuel economy indicatory switch to ON, difference of time occurs.

As for this photograph 5: In 05 key ON, it travelled started with switch OFF of the TV system.
    5: In 12 to turn the switch of the TV system to ON, 5: In 25 it turned again to OFF.
    And 5: In 40 the switch of the TV system was turned to ON.

You can be understood?

When turning the switch of the TV system to ON, fuel economy calculation is done, it meaning that the bar graph is indicated, does, but
    With time lag of time at the time of key ON and time at the time of switch ON of the TV system, the time zone which is not indicated in normally occurs.
    (Because it is data every of 5 minutes, 1 minute passing, turning switch to ON when and, 4 minutes passing, when turning switch to ON, it is thing which you say)

Please acknowledge.

The switch this is. You install on side of the SMART switch.

From 3/15 delivery start
    In order acceptance! !

(and thanks Evan for beating me to the purple wire question).

18. Steve Goldenberg

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    This is Mike's hi-res photo of the wires to be cut and switched for the Speed Sensor Defeat modifications.
    I used a small round black NC bushbutton for the GPS so I can't leave it off by mistake and a small round black rocker switch for the phone which doesn't matter if I accidentally leave it off. The switches are just personal preferences.

If the attachment is not hi-res, click on the link. It is hi-res.

http://priuschat.com/forums/download.php?id=477

This is the easiest way to accomplish both mods unless somone comes up with a timing circut, I'll stick with this.

Had I not done the GPS mod a few months ago, I'd use one rocker switch, mounted on the lower portion of the right A/C vent, for both.

Mike's way is very easy and fast to install and simple to use.

19. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brosnan @ Jun 18 2004, 02:12 AM) [snapback]22605[/snapback]</div>
    I just performed the suggested modification above on my 2006 Prius. Works great. The only change I made to the suggestion above was using alarm magnetic reed switches from Radio Shack and taping them just below the vent. I then used a magnet I had purchased from Disney World that just looks like a nice little memory of Disney. When I remove the magnet it allows access to both Nav and Bluetooth functions. I put my little Magnet back and all is back to normal again. Total cost $8.00. Total time including going slow to make sure I don't do anything wrong......1 hour. This will make using my Prius a heck of alot more functional especially on a trip with my wife along. We usually operate Nav functions from the passenger seat. Another unexpected side benefit. If the magnet is removed the modification I had previously installed to lock all doors goes into effect. I dont have to wait until the car goes to 16 miles per hour to activate it.

Thanks to brosnan and efusco for the information.

Cheers

20. marcdare

marcdare New Member