1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Speed sensor problem after axle change

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by FirstFlight, Aug 23, 2016.

1. FirstFlight

FirstFlight Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Both inner CV boots were torn and I decided on doing the entire axle instead of just doing the boot. I ordered Cardone axles to replace the OEM axles.

I did the right side and all went well. Drove it for a couple of days and no issues. Then onto the left. Couldn't get the damn thing out of the transaxle so I ended up renting an axle puller from auto zone. Came out after a few pulls on the slide hammer.

After it came out, put the new one in and topped off the fluid. Test drove it around town and all seemed okay. Took it on the highway and that's when I noticed there was a problem. Up to approximately 65, all is fine. Above that and the left front speed is erratic. When I drop below 65, it starts reading correctly. Go above it and it's bad. It's literally within 2 MPH of 65 every time.

I went back home and removed the wheel and sensor. The sensor is in good shape, the tone gear is centered and while I can't check the gap, it does look correct. I really don't feel like removing the axle again. Any other ideas as to what I can check? My gut is telling me there's something wrong with the tone gear and I hope that's not the case.