1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Speed vs mileage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Stuart, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Stuart

Stuart Junior Member

I am seriously considering the purchase of a Prius and my decision will probably be based on the response to this post.

I live outside of Denver and my daily commute involves a high-speed (75 mph) run into Denver for about 35 miles. Then a couple of miles of city driving and I'm at work. I read efusco's excellent mpg article and I would like a little more detail concerning the statement that speeds over 60 mph generates sufficient wind resistance to significantly reduce the mileage.

Does anyone drive like this and if so, what mileage do you get?

Thanks in advance for any information,
    Stuart

2. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. DocToss

DocToss Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stuart @ Apr 29 2006, 10:27 PM) [snapback]247418[/snapback]</div>

My best milage has been on interstate driving. I took a 100 mile trip and averaged 51 mpg. In the city I am averaging 44-49 mpg.

4. plasm

plasm New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stuart @ Apr 29 2006, 11:27 PM) [snapback]247418[/snapback]</div>
    I'd guess high 40's to low 50's on the highway, then between 40 and 60 MPG in the city depending on outside temperature, A/C use, and your foot. Maybe average around 48 MPG overall?

5. dpower

dpower Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I drive 25 miles in hilly back roads, then stop and go, then hit a 35 mile expressway leg that I run at 75 into city, then more stop and go. Im averaging 600 miles a week right now and get 51 to 53 mpg regularly.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stuart @ Apr 29 2006, 11:27 PM) [snapback]247418[/snapback]</div>
    The connection between speed and drag is true for all automobiles, not just the Prius or hybrids, so you are going to see reduced mileage with anything you drive. The Prius has nearly the best coefficient of drag for any production auto at .26, so aerodynamically it is less bothered by speed then most cars. The thing is, the Prius gets such good mileage that you actually notice the drop at highway speeds. Many cars get such poor low speed mileage that you just don't see a big change at speed. It's not that the Prius is poor at speed, it is that most cars get crappy mileage all the time.

Given the commute you describe, I suspect your mileage will be in the high forties. It will improve as the Prius mentality takes over and modifies your driving behavior. :rolleyes:

Tom

7. jrct9454

jrct9454 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Apr 30 2006, 05:03 AM) [snapback]247515[/snapback]</div>

I agree - my experience suggests 45-48 mpg, just driving it like any other car, once you pass the break-in period.

Unlike some, I chose this car as much for its everyday practicality [real room for four adults, great cargo space, hatchback access] as for the other-worldly mileage. Only real competition was a Jetta diesel. I'm a car nut, and drive accordingly - I don't inflate the tires to super-pressures, I don't alter my driving style.... a recent 500 mile trip with conditions similar to what you describe yielded 44 mpg, with a green engine. And I was happy with the car's passing ability, that is, rolling acceleration from 45-50 mph to 75-80 to get around somebody. I'm very impressed so far.

I did remove the stock wheels and tires, storing them in favor of same-size alloys and Costco Michelins in the stock 185/65-15 size. Far better handling and general road behavior, probably a break-even on noise and ride. Too early to measure any effect on fuel use, though I'm not expecting much there either way.

8. viking31

viking31 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My drive is 39 miles each way to work here in the flat, mild weather of West Central Florida. About 7 miles at 60 mph and the rest at 75-80 mph. A/C is always on auto at a comfortable setting in the interior of the car. Cruise control on nearly all of the time.

My mpg consistently averages in the high forties to low fifties with the above conditions. City driving DOES get better mileage as the EPA results suggest. And mileage is getting better with the onset of the warmer Spring/Summer weather here in FL. Lifetime average is now 48.19 mpg since mid Jan this year. I have kept track of the mileage since day one and have not noticed any "break in" mileage increases other members have reported.

The only "mods" I have implemented is I keep the tire pressures at 44 front and 42 rear and I have installed the BT brace. The BT brace may help some but it really would take a double blind test to actually verify its effectiveness IMHO. I have noted a tailwind or headwind has a measurable effect. I even find myself checking the flags for wind direction before my drive home!

Overall I am VERY impressed with the Prius. Very comfortable, roomy, and versatile for such a high mileage car. The only complaint (and this is a minor one) I have is the Prius does tend to get buffeted around in moderate to high winds more than any other vehicle I have driven.

Rick
    2006 #4 with 7,000 miles

9. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My last tank (tolerably warm weather finally) was fluctuating between 54 and 55 mpg, with those short trips to the grocery store pulling it down. Yesterday I took a 2-hour (round drip) highway drive (car-pooling with 3 other people to get to the site of a hike on BLM land) and filled up before leaving town. That 2-hour drive, all highway, between 55 and 60 mph, with occasional 30 mph through a couple of small towns) averaged 50.5 mpg.

If you really must drive 75, you won't do as well. But if you slow down to 60 you'll do great. Sure, people will pass you. But if you leave earlier you'll get there on time. Every car gets better mpg at 60 than at 75, and every car is safer at 60 than at 75.

But even at 75 the Prius will get considerably better mpg than anything but a Honda Insight. If you want the very best mileage and two seats are enough, and you don't need any cargo space, get an Insight. If you need a regular sedan, the Prius beats everything else hands down.

If what you really need is cheap transportation, get a recent-model used Toyota or Honda.

10. Stuart

Stuart Junior Member

Hi folks

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience and knowledge with me.

I discovered that Colorado has a tax rebate for the Prius (in addition to the Federal tax rebate).

So based on your feedback and the additional rebate, I have decided to purchase one. We'll see if the Prius mentality takes over :)

Thanks again for your help,
    Stuart

11. Cully

Cully New Member

Stuart I want to know what highway you are taking that allows you to go 75 the whole time during rush hour. I go from Highlands Ranch to Evans and Monaco on a daily basis and I'm lucky to get over 65 for any prolonged amount of time. I usually take 470 to I25. I filled up today and averaged 52MPH. You're making a good choice.
    Matt
    Denver

12. Stuart

Stuart Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cully @ May 2 2006, 06:18 PM) [snapback]248752[/snapback]</div>

Hi Cully

I come in from the east on I-70 (I live north of Strasburg). Traffic moves right along, but its only a matter of time before it gets plugged up out here too.

Stuart