1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Speedo brightness

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Britprius, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Does anyone know if the speedo display brightness on the UK/Europe version of the Prius is controlled by a 12v input to the display or controlled via the can bus.

In the UK/EU cars the speedo does not have a dimmer switch it dims automatically when the side lights are turned on, this is a problem in the daytime because if it is raining or fogy it is required by law to switch on the lights this then dims the display making it difficult or impossible to see the speedo if conditions are still bright or sunny (it does happen).

If the display is controlled by an input from the lights it should be a simple matter to break this input with a switch thus keeping the display at it's normal daytime level.

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The only wiring diagram I have for the above problem is for the US version. This shows a wire going from the rheostat to pin 28, "wire light blue" of the combination meter, so maybe find pin 28 disconnect and see what happens.

3. Jaquimo

Jaquimo Paraglider, Prius glider...

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Britprius, I had the same problem with the display dimming when I switched the lights on until I found out that if you press the display dimmer switch in for 2 to 3 seconds the display brightens up like when the lights were switched off. On our Prii the display dimmer switch is located to the right of the Hazard Lights and the ODO TRIP switches below the MFD.

Radu Stauceanu and Britprius like this.
  4. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for the information but the UK/EU version does not have that switch.

5. PhilWray

PhilWray Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

The dimmer button on my T-Spirit is the same as the kph/mph button but is only active when the lights are on

Regards,

Phil

Data Daedalus and Britprius like this.
  6. Bradkb

Bradkb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a UK 2005 T3 model, and it does have a dash dimmer, next to the ODO switch is the switch to flick to KPH, if you press it quickly it will change the dash board brightness. Everytime you press it the dash will dim slightly more, until it flips to full brightness.

Hope this helps.

Brad

Data Daedalus and Britprius like this.
  7. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Phil and Brad thanks for the information, checked it out and it works. Could not find it in the hand book and it is not exactly intuitive. Thanks again.

John.

8. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Cool, so the UK/EU version does have it! I thought it to be strange to not have made the option available to people.

9. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I was pleased to have this option pointed out although I have search the manual many times so I guess I am guilty of not RTFM. I must state that as with other control options on the Prius it is not intuitive and means that there are two independent adjustments for the dash displays, one for the MFD, and one for the combination meter.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  10. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Ours is like that, the dimmer switch only does dash lights, the Nav display brightness is changed from a setting in the display.

11. Radu Stauceanu

Radu Stauceanu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you! It took me one year to find this!