1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Speedo/Odometer Replaced with Used: Wrong Mileage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by ydpplqbd, Jun 19, 2020.

1. ydpplqbd

ydpplqbd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am looking at a used Prius for my cousin. This 2008 Gen2 had a cluster failure recently. Cluster was replaced with a used one with the wrong odometer reading. I have seen documentation of R&R of speedo-odo-cluster (invoice from garage), and purchase of speedo-odo-cluster from ebay. And, I have also seen mileage documented from dealer invoice (a couple months prior to speedo-odo-cluster swap) and mileage reported at state inspection (several months ago). Everything lines up (thus, I have concluded that this is a legitimate issue and not a scam).

How do I get the mileage corrected on the existing speedo-odo-cluster?

Is this a DIY project?

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, not really.
    I'd contact Matt @Texas Hybrid Batteries to see if he is able to help. It would involve you removing the CM and sending it to him to update.

ydpplqbd likes this.
  3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How many miles are we talking about here?
    If we're dealing with a car that is 12 years old with 200,000 miles on the clock...Is the juice really going to be worth the squeeze?

As far as your questions....

(How to do it)
    1. See if the dealer is capable of this and how much they will charge.

Is it DIY?
    For me....yes....but this is one of those VERY rare things that I would get a quote from a dealer first.....or just not bother with - especially if the car has >150,000 miles. For a 12-year-old car with a documented history of an odometerectomy it just would not be cost effective.

When your cousin sells the car, he or she can simply sign an affidavit stating that the car is equipped with a replacement odometer and what the true mileage offset is.
    A crude fix....but 100% effective and rather cost efficient.....which is half the reason people drive Priuses to begin with.

Good Luck!

SFO and ydpplqbd like this.