1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Speedometer brightness

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Shahzad Nayyar, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Shahzad Nayyar

Shahzad Nayyar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hu everybody. Hope u people are doing gr8. I have a 07 prius base model with 100k Km. I just cant seem to change the brightness of combination meter. Initially i could do that but now the button doesnt seem to change the brightness. Secondly the fresf/recir rear vent and defrost only work when i turn the steering wheel to the left..... can anybody give any good suggestion...

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the brightness wheel might need to be replaced. and you probably need a new clock spring in your steering wheel.

Kevin_Denver likes this.
  3. johnjohnchu

johnjohnchu Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My combination meter can no longer dial the brightness after the recall replacement of the combination meter by Toyota. Replaced the brightness meter wheel numerous times did not resolved the issue. It is not big deal for me. Did not notice the issue until more than a year after the combination meter replacement. At least the critical combination meter issue (can not turn off car) was resolved.

Shahzad Nayyar likes this.
  4. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe Bisco is correct. Anything only working on the steering wheel when it is pointed in one direction is usually due to the clock spring/spiral cable. I should know - I replaced mine last month and it fixed my horn!

Most likely cause of the brightness wheel adjuster not working is the wheel itself. It's easy to replace - just need to pull out two philips head screws and take apart the dash panels, pull the bad one and put a new one in. I could do it in 10 minutes, perhaps an hour if you're doing it for the first time. Should be able to get a cheap used one from a junkyard or ebay.

Shahzad Nayyar likes this.
  5. johnjohnchu

johnjohnchu Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After Toyota combination meter recall, I replaced my brightness wheel adjuster at least 4 times using parts from the junk yard. It did not resolve the issue. The adjuster wheel can only click to super bright if necessary. The dimmer portion does not function. It is always at the brightest setting just below the super bright. In my case, I think that I either have a slightly defective combination meter or the dealer technician did not install everything back correctly.