1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Speedometer calibration ?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Dozzer, Aug 30, 2008.

1. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Let me get this right: you think it is OK to speed 20mph OVER the posted speed limit AND you think it is OK to drive 10mph UNDER the posted limit on the same road? And you think itis OK to ignore speed limits at your own personal discretion? So if the Limits are 45min/65max you think it is safe for some drivers to be going 85 while others are going 35? Really?

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Having driven exactly once through the Chicago zone, I can understand why many folks feel a need to keep up a faster pace there. It was a very foreign and other-worldly experience for me.

But I really don't understand the 'bully' mentality -- tolerating big trucks and motorhomes traveling slower, but displaying road rage towards smaller vehicles going the same speed. Around here, there is generally little problem with smaller rigs choosing to stick to the slower big rig speed limits.

Mendel Leisk and kenoarto like this.
  3. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I learned how to drive in the empty suburban streets and highways. The day I told my father that I was ready to take the drivers' test, he took me downtown and made me drive around there for a while. THAT was quite an eye opening experience! If you think Chicago is rough, you gotta try NYC, Rome, Paris and London. Yikes!

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've seen them all. Fortunately, I didn't need to drive any of them. Just Milan.

I've also experienced (not driven) Athens, Shenzhen, Beijing, Guangzhou, Delhi, Agra, Ho Chi MInh City, and Hanoi. And bicycled a significant distance between the later two. Compared to them, your list is easy!

5. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I never said that. I would never take my motorhome on I-295......or most of the other freeways around Chicago either.

So....let's throw this back at you:
    IF the posted speed limit is 55 BUT absolutely everybody on the road it going 75, and I do mean EVERYBODY, do you think it is a safe thing to do to go the posted 55 ??

If your answer to that is YES, either you are pretty dense or you have never been in that situation before.

Railroadrider likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm getting the sense, that speeding is a contagion. Everybody playing "see you and raise you", and nobody wanting to be the odd man out. (n)

kenoarto, Raytheeagle and fuzzy1 like this.
  7. Samprocat

Samprocat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    To answer to your posted question is to have ability to change tire Rpm revolution per mile and you will get your tachometer calibrated...
    Where once tire get worn it will give you error on true MPH
    Same applies to set pressure and weight
    Speed that you traveling also affect calibration
    Only true way is to use GPS and look on the way to implement another peace of hardware to constantly adjust MPH calibration
    Good luck with that

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Plus, in heavy traffic, there is a herd protection. Traffic enforcement cannot possibly pull over and process thousands of customers per hour, so they throw up their hands and raise their threshold.

But urban drivers often fail to distinguish between herd protection and the normal threshold of forgiveness, and get tripped up when traveling in sparse rural traffic where there is no herd protection. Much of my travel is in those rural areas, where the only 'protection' is sparse staffing for enforcement. But I travel there enough to have plenty of opportunities to get caught, so must therefore obey.
    In my region, that is a purely hypothetical question. It simply doesn't happen in real life around here.

#48 fuzzy1, Apr 23, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Been there, done that.
    A couple of years back when we were in Washington and Oregon, I was amazed at the sanity and courtesy of the drivers in general.
    Hell they even slow down a bit and let you merge when you turn on your signal for a lane change.
    Outrageous. ;)

Railroadrider and fuzzy1 like this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

One occasion, I needed to make a left turn soon, accordinly was trying to get into left lane in advance. Saw a nice gap, turned on my signal for a lane change, and the car at back of the gap practically squatted under hard/sudden acceleration, I stayed the course, moving into the lane, to the sound of them leaning on the horn as they jump from gas to brake. Looked in my rear-view: it was a harried looking woman, apoplectic with rage. Strange, strange. (n)

11. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Same mentality as those who close gaps in the right hand lane at an on ramp.
    I tend to hold my ground in those situations too, aiming for the real bumper of the vehicle at the head of the space.
    I usually fit in just fine. (y)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    1)You just stated that you drive -10 in your motorhome on highways (we don't call 'em freeways [especially when the roads lare tollways!]).So you really need to explain your delusional interpretation of the Rules of the Road.
    2) And No, I have never EVER been on a road with a 55mph limit and "everyone" was going 75mph (unless you count "everybody" to be one dangerous-accident-waiting-to-happen). Never. Ever. EVER!!! Nonetheless, it is quite safe to have a 20mph difference between fastest and slowest highway drivers. A 50mph difference, as you say you do, is probably unsafe (and the reason limits have minimums AND maximums)!

fuzzy1 likes this.
  13. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    And you need to stop with the insults. I "need" to explain nothing.
    Don't read things into my posts that are not there and we will be fine.

But I'm sorry I have been giving the wrong route number for the Tri-State Tolllway; it is I-294.

Maybe you should take a test drive on there sometime. Start down where it connects to I-80 and drive north up to about O'hare.........and count the number of cars that you think are doing the posted 55 MPH. You won't need to use all of your fingers to do this.

Done.

14. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It is not OK to go 20+ nor -10. Period. And you really need to stop complaining about your "right" to ignore the posted speed limits (and stop trying to blame everyone else for your admitted civil offenses).

FYI: I have made the daily commute from Chicago to Wisconsin and from Chicago to Laport Indiana -- a mix of tollways, freeways, rural routes and streets are required. The highway speed limits change from 45-70 often, as you drive through the city, suburbs and states. Many drivers are doing the posted limit, there are also plenty of trucks doing the minimum, and 5mph speeding is common. But only the VERY rare, very dangerous driver is doing 20+ over the limit!

#54 kenoarto, Apr 24, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  15. Samprocat

Samprocat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Come on people it is free country...
    We are not state troopers to judge anyone
    Back in my country most Highway have no limit how fast you can drive
    God bless Germany
    And driving culture is way above US

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Was in morning rush hour this morning, first time in a long time. Same old same old. :(

17. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  18. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I never said any such thing about any "rights".
    I'm just telling you how it IS in many places.
    Accept that or not, your choice.
    Further inaccurate rants will be ignored.

Maybe you should read the information at the link posted in #57 above.
    And TRY to actually understand it.......ALL OF IT.

19. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    @kenoarto and @Sam Spade

Amusing as your tête-à-tête is, it really has nothing to do with the thread topic.

Time to call it a day, chaps?

#59 dolj, Apr 24, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  20. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    And I am reminding you, that there is NO place in the United States where everyone is going 20mph over the limit. You must accept that fact, it is not a choice. Prius drivers are best advised to drive slowly and safely to lower emissions and get better gas mileage. Yeesh!