1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Speedometer Circuit board power connector pinout

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Meter guy, Aug 15, 2021.

1. Meter guy

Meter guy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    hi everyone.

I'm looking for the pinout for the 12V power + and - for the Speedometer circuit board on the 2nd gen

I would like to power it up outside of the vehicle.

there are 2 ribbon cables connected, tho they appear to be data, and theres a 6 wire connector on one side, which are regular wires. 3 wires are white and 3 are brown, I suspect the power comes thru this.

anyone have a schematic they could look at to tell me where the 12v supply is?

thank you

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In case nobody has a handy copy to post, naturally it's in the wiring diagram (more info).

3. Meter guy

Meter guy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    im not asking anyone to post the manual, I said
    anyone have a schematic they could "look at" to tell me where the 12v supply is?

back in the 90s I purchased a service manual for a speedometer project on an 88 Taurus GL that involved removal of a analog mechanical speedometer and the installation of a Digital model from an LX model, every single wire had to be manually tied in to the car, including replacing the mechanical trans connection to a digital speed sensor. a major project worth buying a Manual for.

this project is very small.

4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Please use this thread to document any progress, and include pictures if possible so that someone else can follow your lead if needed.

I've never used the following link, but it should contain *everything* you need : Service Manuals - Google Drive

Help others by extracting the manuals from Gdrive and backing them up on http://mega.nz/ (or any other download site). Then link in here.

5. Meter guy

Meter guy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    DSC07065.JPG DSC07066.JPG DSC07067.JPG Update.....
    In the ME-Meter.pdf, it contains the pinout at section ME-24 for the Speedometer connector C-10

ME-32 is a test for Entire combination meter does not operate, there it references battery + power should be present in the C10 harness connector
    C10-4 IGN fuse
    C10-21 Done Fuse
    C10-22 Gauge Fuse
    Page ME-33 continues and references the C10-14 Ground

ME-24 references a
    C10-29 Panel Fuse
    so its possible power needs to be applied there too.

I have a spare harness cable and will wire it up for 4,10,14,21 when I get some time this week, Ill update this thread with my results

SFO, thank you for the link :)

#5 Meter guy, Aug 15, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
    SFO likes this.
  6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Personally I believe this thing has two redundant power inputs at least so if one is missing it may make the display not work I don't know how this was engineered or designed personally really don't care I just want to get it working without trying to weld capacitors or solder capacitors to a board or buy $150 already soldered board and then have this rear it's ugly head right after I install it and pay my money. I think there's a few power wires that come into this thing and if all of them don't show power at the same time you get no display or something similar You could name it whatever you want I don't really care. But that's what it seems like to me because when I have my power button panel off and the power button dangling and I attempt to ready the car if I play with the white connectors just forward of the steering wheel the door ajar light will come on because I've got the door open and I'm fooling with the plugs and then the CM monitor will come on if I stop and restart the car The battery guy told me that if you don't see that door ajar light when you open the door of the trunk you will have no display I don't care what else you got going on he said and so far he has been correct If I open the door to a generation 2 Prius and I do not see the door open red icon universal symbol there will be no display that is a fact so far there has to be something to that besides a bad capacitor I would think. Because when I change the whole display even out of the car parked right next door to this one that works every day and we drive then that display all of a sudden magically does the same thing in this '09 gold car that I drive and now this 08 silver loaded GPS car same exact situation for the most part except the silver car actually had the CM monitor code My gold car has never had a code for the CM monitor display at all ever. Well thanks for listening but that's where we are at the moment and this is the car that I've been fooling with and driving for 3 years and the silver car I just got I don't know 3 months ago this is the $700 car out of Raleigh North Carolina that's in very good shape very clean $171,000 mi Good tires bearings all of it no kidding drives like a dream smells good inside like I would care.