1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Speedometer Display goes black (2008)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tvldesk, Jun 22, 2015.

1. tvldesk

tvldesk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My Display goes black when turning the headlights on. Works fine with the lights off.

Any ideas

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    The speedo/odo "heads-up" unit is the subject of a TSB anda warranty extension. See your dealer.

JeffD

3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know where it is on a Gen 2 Prius but have you tried simply adjusting the brightness control?

On my Gen 3 it is ridiculously touchy, and goes from "Black" to "Lit" in just a touch.

gator1976 likes this.
  4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I agree on adjusting the brightness control. It's just a simple wheel on the left side of the steering wheel buttons

5. toamidnightshow

toamidnightshow New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello, I am having this same issue on my 2008 Prius. I have tried adjusting the brightness control, to no avail. To be clear, it isn't just really dark, it goes completely black. The display is fine when my headlights are off. Until recently, the display was dark when the headlights are on. Now it is completely black and I can't even faintly see it.
    This has been happening ever since I got a new headlight bulb (HID, mine was burnt out) installed yesterday.
    Troubleshooting:
    1. Adjusting the dimmer switch did not work. It has helped in the past when the display was just dark, but for some reason it stayed black.
    2. I haven't checked the fuses yet, but could it even be a fuse issue since the display is fine when the headlights are off?
    3. I tried pressing the ODO/trip/km button near the stereo just to see if it would wake it up and it stayed black. But when I put my headlights off, it had changed over to trip/KM
    4. I called the dealer who did the headlight bulb install yesterday and he said he'll "do some research today.
    I noticed this on my way to work this morning. I will have more time to look at it this evening.
    OP, did you figure out your issue?

6. gator1976

gator1976 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you sir! I tried everything not thinking of the simplist.

Attached Files: