1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Speedometer display not working

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Michael Warren, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Michael Warren

Michael Warren Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a 2007 Gen II Prius and the upper front display quit working. This is the one with the speedometer, odometer, and gas gauge (HUD?). This has happened before and come back on it’s own but after a month of not working it appears permanent.

Clues and info:
    1- The smart remote quit working around the same time but not exactly the same time. I have to use the hard key to open the door and insert the fob to start the car. (And yes, I have checked the battery and tried my 2nd fob)

2- When I start the car, the yellow check engine icon lights up on the dash for a couple of seconds then disappears. After starting, the only light on the dash display that is lit is the far right airbag light.

3- With the exception of the missing dash display, the car shifts and runs fine.

4- The center (MFD?) display works fine except the consumption/MPG functions don’t change (stays on the MPG when it quit working).

5- When I turn on the headlights, the center square display (MFD? radio, climate, etc) dims.

6- About 50% of the time, I have to hold the power button down for 8 secs or so before it shuts off.

7- I have checked as many threads as I could find but have not found a good answer to this problem.

Things I’ve ruled out:
    1- both batteries, the hybrids and 12v, are less than 10 months old.

2- nothing is blocking the dash display.

3- the dimmer is all the way bright.

So any ideas as to the problem and the fix?

The easy answer is the display needs replacing. But if that were the case, why do I need to to hold the power button down several seconds (emergency shutoff) in order to power off?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the power button hold down is a classic symptom of a bad combo meter

still worth checking the 12v before dropping a grand on the speedo, the loss of door locks is a clue, and not related to the speedo

SFO likes this.
  3. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A grand? The guy in Texas (Texas Hybrids?) rebuilds them for around 150. That’s less that a battery.

jerrymildred likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    labor my friend, labor. have you watched the installation video?

5. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not relevant to me my friend. I work on my own cars.

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    good on you(y)

7. Michael Warren

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Isn’t the combo meter part of the MFD (center square display above radio)? Since my Multi Function Display works (climate, radio) how would this affect my forward speedometer display? The only problem with the MFD is the info/MPG part doesn’t work. Are you saying that if that 1/4 of the MFD doesn’t work (but the other 3 work fine), then the entire forward dash display (speedo, fuel level, odo) all stop working?

And to reiterate, the 12v is new, installed by the local dealer, tests perfectly, and is NOT the problem.

8. Michael Warren

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If a faulty display turns out to be the culprit, how difficult is it to remove? I try to do most of my own work as well. But if they display is bad, why do I have to hold the power button to turn off?

9. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, it’s not. If you look through the posts here you will see your problem many times. Or take it to the dealer, your choice.

10. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Plenty of threads showing how to pull the dash apart and the symptoms of a bad display. Do some homework. If you don’t agree then go to the dealer, you will have to pay for their opinion though.

11. Michael Warren

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Go away Skibob, you’re rude and unhelpful. I’ve spent weeks looking through posts trying to find answers to no avail. The sole reason for forums is to help others and you are not very good at it.

Comments such as; “If you look through the posts you will see your problems many times...Do some homework” are just non-answers from forum elitists attempting to flaunt some sort of delusional superiority. I am the OP and created this thread precisely because I couldn’t find answers in previous posts. If you don’t have the problem and solution yourself, let someone who knows the answer contribute.

To those of you who have ACTUALLY had this problem AND solved it, what did you do?

bisco likes this.
  12. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This:

Skibob and bisco like this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    terminology is difficult because of the various generations.
    the speedo will need to be replaced if the 12v is good. it is a labor intensive task, but the rebuilt part is only a hundred or two.
    the radio/climate display is separate and more easily replaced. one does not affect the other

14. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Kind of labor intensive. But not hard at all. IIRC, all you need is a plastic pry tool, a #2 Philips screwdriver, and a ratchet with an extension and a 10mm socket. And about an hour of your time. You can get a rebuilt meter programmed with your mileage from Matt at Texas Hybrid Batteries for $150.

edthefox5 likes this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and be careful, the old plastic cracks easily

16. Michael Warren

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you very much! Just what I needed. I’ve already taken the left side of the dash off when I hardwired my radar detector (see my post for info) so I know a bit about the fragile vents and plastic.

Thanks again- both of you!

jerrymildred and bisco like this.
  17. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Never noticed till I took my dash apart to replace my combo the plastic piece that covers the shifter is just snap on and off and Best Buy when they installed my new radio cracked it and then re-installed perfectly so I would not notice. I did The same in re-assembly but bottom line you will probably crack some parts due to age.

One tool you must have is a very long needle nose pliers to remove the plug on the plastic cover that goes up the pillar. The one he says you have to twist to unplug. That plug is a biatch.

Skibob likes this.
  18. Michael Warren

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just an add-on note re. getting by until replacement.

I found out that if I fiddle with the car power/start button, I can get the speedometer (combo meter) to come on for a day or two. If you turn the car on WITHOUT pressing the brake first and THEN turn it on with the brake pressed, the combo meter will come on. It usually doesn’t work when it’s really cold (first start of the day) but will usually work after I have driven it around awhile. By doing this I’ve been able to get it to come on every day whereas before it wouldn’t come on for weeks.

I think the diy route is more than I want to get into right now so I am going to buy a refurbished combo meter and have the local Toyota dealer put it in ($300 labor).

Does anyone have a recommendation for a refurbished combo meter seller? From what I’ve read, the problems may be caused by a bad capacitor that faults when it gets too cold. I assume some sellers replace these using better parts and would like to get an “improved” version.

19. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    #19 Skibob, Dec 14, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  20. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I second Texas he’s a good guy.

Skibob, jerrymildred and Raytheeagle like this.