1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

speedometer

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by slowfoot, Dec 31, 2020.

1. slowfoot

slowfoot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I have 3 questions related to my 2014 Prius v wagon. I hope I am in the right forum and sub section. I have never navigated a forum (any) successfully. 1. I well understand the concept and practice of downshifting.I pretty well understand regenerative breaking. When I engage the "B" mode, the engine quickly reaches what sounds like a destructive RPM . All the dealer will say is something like "use the B when going down hill". Insufficient answer. Can we shift into B at any speed? With foot off accelerator, how fast can the car travel in B mode (before blowing up the drive train)? 2. Is there an ANALOG speedometer available? 3. Is there an instrument package that tells the driver coolant temperature/gas engine rpm/service battery voltage?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I would only use B on extremely long and steep downhill stretches, at least a mile, or more, where you’re for sure going to fully fill the battery, and still have plenty of downhill in front of you still, and you may be overtaxing the friction brakes. B reduces charging, substitutes engine braking. Toyota is pretty vague about it, but that’s the consensus here.

Regarding questions 2 and 3: I’d like more instrumentation too, in particular coolant temp, but there’s no option from Toyo. You can hook up gizmos to the OBD port.

3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    1. Agree "B" should be rarely used as it reduces mpg. B stands for engine braking which is only useful if the hv battery is full on a mountain downhill. Otherwise regen braking is normally better and stronger. It is applied when letting off the gas pedal and applied stronger with the brake pedal, all in "D" mode.

2. Analog speed? No, other than a digital representation that you could add to the obd2 port using a separate display like a phone. Downside is that add on could be drawing current with the engine off, is distracting and could fly around in a panic stop or accident.

3. Same answer for temperature, rpm, voltage, etc.

If you must have it, I would buy a obd2 bluetooth transmitter and dedicare a mini ipad or similar. You would still have to turn off the display and back on etc. There are other options like scangauge.

Here is a video of an ipad app driven by the obd2. Read the post for the test purpose.

Video Description
    50F Thermal Cycling in Ready and Higher Charge Voltage in Park | PriusChat

#3 rjparker, Jan 1, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2021