1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Spell Checker on Priuschat.com

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by John in LB, Mar 24, 2007.

1. acdii

acdii Active Member

I don't think it is so much the school system failing to teach spelling and sentence structure, but more along the lines of failing to teach proper pronunciation of English. Listen to young adults these days, and those in their twenties. They fail to be able to properly enunciate. Dad is dod, good is gid, that is thot. They seem to me to be trying to imitate upper class speech and failing miserably. In addition, not to be racist, but to make a point about schooling, down south, like in Georgia, black people tend to have better English, you know, the classic articulate speech, and that is mainly due to their parents making them speak clearly, but up where I live, especially in Chicago, it is as though talking black is an honor, and I find more and more of it is making its way into other peoples speech. Just ax me. I remember back about 10 years ago I was doing a fence project for a lady in Elgin who was black, and there was something on TV, I think the news, and I heard her yell at the screen, "Why the hell cant these people speak like normal, its so degrading to me". That made me go huh? If you were to talk to her on the phone you would never be able to tell her race, and I guess that is what ticks her off the most, is that she put the effort into speaking clearly so she could get ahead in the world, and that others who don't, offend her. Can't blame her for that I guess.

2. orracle

orracle Whaddaya mean "senior" member?

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(toad @ Mar 25 2007, 01:21 AM) [snapback]411809[/snapback]</div>
    My daughter says I should found a group called "The Grammar Police" since I also expect decent spelling, limits to the use of the words "like" and you know", not using "me" in place of "I" etc. Sometimes for laughs, I will stop one of her friends and ask them to tell the same story they just told without using "like". They can't do it! :blink:

3. acdii

acdii Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(N_IL_Priusfan @ Jun 30 2007, 10:19 AM) [snapback]470600[/snapback]</div>
    Do they do that alot or a lot? :D Like you know, me friends spell it that way and Is likes to nag em about it.

CPS Teaching you know! ^^