1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Spilled food/drink in MY car? Who, ME?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Jack 06, Dec 12, 2005.

1. cap_ut

cap_ut New Member

*This story happened to a boyfriend's car -- if it had been mine I would have gone for a steam cleaning soon after the incident. He kept insisting that it would get better...oh so wrong.

The Incident:
    Previously opened gallon of milk in the rear footwell tipped while moving from one house to another and the snap-on cap was not strong enough to prevent spillage of about 75% of the gallon.

Removed the floor mat and cleaned it, but the milk had seeped around the edges to the carpet.

Attempted to clean with various types of solutions.

First it smelled like spoiled milk. Then apparently the 'spoiled milk' bacteria died, and other bacteria started to eat them and the smell got worse for several weeks until the 2nd round of bacteria died, and everything went pretty much back to normal.

Drove with the windows open to avoid vomiting for about 2 months of a brutal Ohio winter. If it had been summer it might have been worse, but it also might have been better because the little bacteria might have eaten all of the milk and each other faster...

2. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My best spill was a loose milk carton. I had my Sport Trac about 6 months and went to fold down the rear seat for the dog and felt resistance so I pushed a little harder....POP goes the milk carton.

I mop it out, clean it up and make a mental note to check under the seats from now on when I have lots of groceries. Well it is summer and before the day is out you can smell it. Within 2 days my alarm starts doing weird things to the point of me leaving the damn thing off and the truck unlocked. The Ford guys say there is no way that it could be shorted out from the spill (we are talking maybe 1-1 1/2 cups that mostly got taken care of) but I get in there and they start taking apart the runners and back mat. Sure enough there is a huge glob of congealed milk stuck to a connector in the runner between the front and back driver side. They took it in the back and detailed the truck, repaired the shorted out section and gave it back to me smelling better than before.

There are some very good reasons not to have food in the vehicle, imagine that spilt milk in my Prius......

3. heliotropehead

heliotropehead New Member

I bathe my Prius' interior with Starbucks White Chocolate Mocha on a regular basis. I make sure to rinse afterwards, however.

I'm a klutz. :mellow:

Oh, and I love Taco Bell! Dog food, horse... whatever it is in those grilled stuft burritos is all right by me.

I meant k! Geez! And thank you. :)

4. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Oh, crikey! I just now realized that! Only 19 more days till 2006!! Yesssssssssssssssssss! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

5. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    I'm addicted to Mexican food in general and anything "taco-flavored" in particular. Only rarely do I eat the "pure sludge" burritos (when I wanna feel full for $1.06). But real meat, real tomatoes, real lettuce, real cheese and that (whatever-it-is) taco flavor--mmm-mm. Make 'em at home!

The first time in my life I traveled west of Syracuse, NY, I was 27 and drove to CA. Hadn't even HEARD of a taco up 'til then. What's THIS? Thought I'd died and gone to heaven! (Had been eating $.15 McDonald's burgers---college student, then broke young married---since '62, and they were getting OLD.)

Finally...chile verde on rice...

6. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I'm using the word spillage for more than food here (or maybe it was). This was in my father's 1964 Plymouth Fury. An acquaintance drank too much and as I was driving her home, she, well, you know, let loose. I will give her credit for trying to do it outside the car, but all she managed to do was put it inside the door (the window was open there was an open slot just waiting to be filled. I had to take the door apart the next day in order to clean it up. Of course by then it was hard. :angry:

7. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

klutz : Yiddish, from Gr. Klotz , wooden block.
    1. A clumsy, dull person. 2. A bungler.

But your new avatar is cool!

8. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Are we talking about vomit here, or urination? Or something entirely different?? I must know!

9. heliotropehead

heliotropehead New Member

Ew.

I vomited in many a car back in my college days. Ahh... memories.

10. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Food and drink are not permitted in my car. Except groceries, which stay in the grocery bag.

And reading the above, I now have a new rule: drunks are not permitted in my car, either.

11. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Vomit, my friend. She kept saying, "Leave me here, I want to die." I told her she would if my father found out.

12. tunabreath

tunabreath New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Many years ago, while loading my car with several items I was bringing to a party, I managed to drop a bottle of Kahlua onto the area in front of the passenger seat. The bottle broke, and most of the contents quickly soaked into the floor mat and the carpet around it. I didn't want to take the time right then to clean it thoroughly, but I was concerned about what might happen if I got pulled over, so I made sure to keep the top part of the bottle with me so that I could argue that, since the seal was intact, I hadn't intended to drive with an "open container".

It was quite fragrant (not nearly as bad as the spilled-milk cars, I'm sure, but cloyingly sweet). I had to drive with the windows open.

13. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

You wasted a whole bottle of Kahlua?

Give each of us 25 points.

14. PhotoLady

PhotoLady New Member

My mom did a good one last summer. She was 'transporting' 2 new gallon bottles of Cream Sherry, and they got loose in the back of her Subaru Outback. Well, one of the caps (no corks here!) came off and about 3/4 gallon of sherry went all over the back fo the Outback. :shock:

She cleaned it up as well as possible, but it had soaked into the carpeting and throughout the car. <_<

You can still, on occasion, even standing outside of it, one can still get the whiff of the sherry, espceially if the car is running (it must have gotten to the underneath and dried there) and the exhaust is warm.. :huh:

What a waste of sherry!! :( I don't think she is going to live this one down....

15. LA FREEWAY

LA FREEWAY New Member

A few years back I gave a college friend of mine a ride to her place. We decided to stop by a local grocery store and my friend for some reason wanted to drink Egg Nog.

Well, my friend spilled her egg nog all over the floor of my old car. I remember next, dropping my friend off at her place than going directly back to my home to get rid of the spilled egg nog...I spent about an hour cleaning the car floor.

The next morning, I went to my car, opened the car door and Boy! the car smelled like sour milk. Stink!

Two years later! ..... the interior of my old car still smelled like sour milk. I never gave another ride in that car.

NEVER EVER have any EGG NOG or MILK in your PRIUS, no matter how much you like your friend.

16. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

And the car doesn't try to weave back and forth going down the road? :)