1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Spilling at the gas pump?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by TheyCmeNow, Jul 29, 2013.

1. TheyCmeNow

TheyCmeNow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    So I was visiting my local costco to gas up and I only had 3 bars left. I start filling with gas and I used the lever to let the nozzle do its thing. After the nozzle clicked off, I pulled it out and witnessed a little spill. The spill itself wasn't crazy but that was wasted $! :mad:

Has this ever happened to any of you?

I only used that lever because the nozzle usually stops at third tank full.. (I can't tell if I'm filling up or topping off at that point)

How big is our tank and how much is one bar equivalent?

2. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Our tank is 9.5 gallons rated. One bar is the last bar and it means you have ~1.5 gallons left. Spillage could happen even if you only put half a tank in the car. Nozzle don't always get the best maintenance when they are over used.

3. TheyCmeNow

TheyCmeNow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I guess that makes sense because I never had this problem at a different station(Which is newer)

4. vernon birdman

vernon birdman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I haven't seen a nozzle equipped with those levers in a long time here in Canada. They all seem to be missing those levers here. It may be a Canadian regulation.

5. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Down here, the relevant Australian Standard specifies that if a dispenser has a value or quantity preset facility, the nozzle should not be equipped with a latching device and on top of this, any delivery nozzle intended to be operated by a customer should not be equipped with a latching device.

Not sure when those latches went away, but they have not existed on any pump I have ever used (which would cover the last twenty years). If you're not there squeezing the trigger, no fuel for you.

6. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    'Muricans r spoilt. :D

7. B2FiNiTY

B2FiNiTY Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Don't pull put so fast and when u do, shake it a little bit before fully removing. #dirtymind

8. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Man!
    I didn't think that the PRC even ALLOWED you to have locking levers on gas pumps!! :eek:

Down here on the Riviera they've mostly gone the way of the Stegosaurus, although I do see the local rednecks sticking their fuel caps into the filling nozzle (or the rag that they've replaced their caps with) so they can dash into the Sack-n-Rob for their beer and cigarettes.
    Me?
    I don't use them. Priuses have itty-bitty tanks and it's just not worth it.
    I'd also shy away from using the lever before some bunny-huger catches you fouling the environment and you find yourself on a wanted poster or a YouTube video somewhere...
    Just Sayin' :)

9. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I think we must be talking about different things... I've never had a tank overfill because of a faulty lever. Mine has always been from excess fuel in the line dripping out afterwards. But I learned quickly to lift the hose and let all the fuel out before removing the nozzle.

RocMills and minkus like this.
  10. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    They have the automatic fill levers here and like above, I have never had a spill due to a faulty one. Of course I do not leave mine unattended so could stop it quickly.

I always put mine on the slowest setting so that it will allow more gas before cutting off and will most likely be a full tank and will just need a couple of clicks to round off to the nearest $0.50. This helps in being consistent with refills and calculating mpg.

To answer your question about how much fuel per bar, it is about one gallon per bar. There are ten bars and about 1.5 gallons in reserve after the last bar. So with a 11.9 gallon tank that is right at one gallon per bar.

11. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    This is the Prius C forum. We have 9.5 gallon tank.

RocMills likes this.
  12. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sorry, my mistake.

13. PriusC-illa

PriusC-illa Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    We have gas attendants in NJ, they set the latch and come back when its done.

ztanos likes this.
  14. TheyCmeNow

TheyCmeNow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    When I used to own my Avalon xls, I never had a problem with automatic levers..
    Fast forward to my C and I never had problems at newer gas stations. This is the first time I experienced a spill. I will fill up based on gallons for now on. A good method is probably run it down to two bars and fill 6.5/7 gallons?

15. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I've had a few overflows with the C. New stations. A quart or so after full. Not enough for a hose-down, but enough to raise the eyebrows a little.

Probably due to not having the nozzle sitting in the hole correctly. I usually put the latch on the first notch. No big hurry. If it had been on the second notch the nozzle probably would have shut off.

No big deal since I never leave the area when the gas is flowing.

Most fillups are at 2 pips, or 1 flashing pip. 8.2 to 8.7 gallons.

16. TheyCmeNow

TheyCmeNow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Thanks for the heads up.

17. minkus

minkus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I've never had a problem with the levers here in Northeast Ohio, and they're on all the gas pumps.

I've only ever once had an overfill. I was using the lever, but it's the auto shutoff's fault - it still would've overfilled even if I was holding the lever.

18. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

Happens all the time unless you cut off the pump and then click the trigger to releve pressure and clear the filler, then remove the nozzle carefully keeping the end of the nozzle upright all tghe way back to the sstation position.
    BTW its not $ wasted; you got billed for it from the pump meter. OK so it loss for you and thats even if you didn't spill any. Be comforted to know you got the 'leftover' from the previus customer - unless it was long past or unless its me. I drain the shut off hose into my tank before hanging it up. Still, a few million gallons are evaporated into the atmosphere every year because some of the gas isn't contained after filling.

19. Dripping happens if the nozzle clicks and I remove it immediately. I wait 5 seconds after the click, before I lift the nozzle. But I've never seen gas just *spill* out from removing it too quick.