1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Splash guard push pins

Discussion in 'Prime Accessories and Modifications' started by nivekonbass, Jan 25, 2023.

1. nivekonbass

nivekonbass Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi guys

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the push pins for the splash guard and fender walls that they sell on Amazon. Can anyone suggest an IMPROVED version to the OEM push pins/clips?

I usually have my local dealership do my oil changes and I believe they either forgot to reinstall them or they came loose so the splash guard is just hanging there and it sometimes rubs.

PS meant to post this in gen 3 forum mb. I guess it doesn't really matter in this case

2. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I bought replacements through Amazon. They're not identical to the originals, and not particularly better, but not worse, and much less expensive. A problem I found with many of the Amazon listings is that they didn't specify the critical dimension, i.e., the nominal hole diameter they fit---although they may show useless information like the dimensions of the package.

Yes, more people would likely see your post in the 3rd-generation section

3. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I bought these off Amazon and replaced nearly all of them on my 2012 Prius v.

Surprisingly, they are better than the original Toyota ones.

Ziruiautopart 100 Pieces Pin in 7mm Hole Compatible for Toyota 9046710183 Plastic Rivets Car Clips Fastener Push Clips Retainer for Cars for Scion Lexus

4. nivekonbass

nivekonbass Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is the one you purchased a kit of different types or did you go for the specific push pin for the task you needed? I would actually really like a full set of these so I have extras.

5. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I got an ebay kit, but none are an exact fit replacement for either the the engine under panel or the fender liner pins. I use two different pins from the kit on the engine under cover panel, depending on the dimensions of diameter and depth of the holes the pins fit into.
    Some ebay pin sets give all the relevant dimensions of the pins. To know the dimensions one or all the pins need to be removed and measured in millimeters ....
    An easy hack that works for me is to put a dab of Dawn or Dishwashing liquid ( none diluted ) onto the pin and work the center of the pin untill it slides without any resistance, than reassemble as usual.
    It only works well for about 6 months, leave the pins untouched for longer than that and breakage is just as likely as un lubed pins.

6. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It was 20 identical ones of the size for 7-mm holes. That's the most numerous size on my car, but it also has a few similar fasteners in 9 mm holes. The brand is "Approved for Automotive."
    When I bought the car (as "certified" used from a Toyota dealer), the 9-mm pushpin was missing from the oil-change flap, so the flap was drooping. They replaced it without charge when I complained.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you want assured compatibility, just get the unimproved Toyota fasteners? You can find the parts numbers if your root around on parts.Toyota.com, and then maybe get them from a dealership parts department: let them come up with the parts no's, and verify against your research.