1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Splash shield replacement - newbie, pl help

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by rparimala, Jun 26, 2012.

1. rparimala

rparimala New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm a newbie to the forum and don't know much about cars. Leased a Prius in May 2010 and it's still under the 3yr-36k warranty. Couple of days back while driving on the highway I heard a scraping sound. Had to drive home and looked underneath to find a panel dropping on the floor near the front of the vehicle. I swear I didn't hit anything.

Took it to the dealer who said that I must have hit something and the spalsh shield was ripped and needs to be replaced. Quoted $320.28. As I didn't want to spend that much I asked if there was a temporary fix. He said they would fix it but I had to get the splash shield replaced soon. I also asked if this was required and he said it was important as it covered the engine?

I have never been to another dealer or mechanic and this is the place I always go to. Leased the car from this dealer too and the oil change every 6 months so far have been free since Toyota was offering free maintenance for 3 yrs at the time I signed up.

Please take a look at the pics and tell me if I have to get this replaced. If I don't, will they charge me when I return the leased vehicle next year? Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    They are being disingenuous. There is a service bulletin out there that replacing this part for free under warrenty. Please print it out and take it back to the dealer and tell them to fix it.

I will post the link to the document soon.

[edit] T-SB document here.

TsKarma likes this.
  3. rparimala

rparimala New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you, thank you.... I am at the dealership right now and the Manager has agreed to replace it as a "good will" gesture. He tried to tell me I had hit something and hence wasn't covered under warranty (since my bumper is damaged from last year's stint with a wall) but I disagreed strongly and my car is being worked on right now. A million thanks to you!!! Saved me $300 which will go towards fixing the bumper before my lease is up next year..

4. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You are most welcome. I am glad the manager stepped up to the plate and did the right thing.

5. Fore

Fore Don't look back!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Same thing happen to me, dealer said I must of hit something, wouldn't fix it for free but suggested for me to use a couple of ty-raps to keep it closed. Went to another dealer and they covered it under warranty by TSB. It's just a poor design, when the dealership changes the oil they open a door flap and the plastic hinge starts to crack towards the ends, then eventually breaks off due to wind pressure and the door flies open and scraps on the ground.

6. TsKarma

TsKarma Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Here is my newbie question. If my Prius is assembled prior to the VIN listed under TsutsumiNo.1Line, but currently out of the warranty (Odometer is greater than 60k), then does that mean I will not get this engine undercover part replaced for free? Thanks in advance.

7. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The TSB explicitly indicates 36months/36,000 miles. So probably not. But I have heard of people getting their dealerships to perform work outside of the warranty period (usually just a tad outside). If never hurts to ask I always say. :)

TsKarma likes this.
  8. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  9. mbarrows

mbarrows Illini Bird

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I took my wife's 2010 Prius (V - Advanced Tech Pkg) in to our Toyota dealer today because the front edge of the under engine cover was coming down and making noise. I had the TSB with me. We purchased her car December 2009 and it has 45,000+ miles on it. Under engine cover was replaced free of charge (TSB states 36000 miles or 36 months whichever comes first).

I guess it depends on who your dealer is and whether they want to create good will with their customers. I'm pretty happy with my dealer. ;)