1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Spoiler clip

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Slopoke, Oct 14, 2020.

1. Slopoke

Slopoke Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi guys, new to this site.

Bought an 08 Prius in Silver Pine Mica. The rear spoiler's top coat was really bad, and I bought a used one in good shape locally. When I was removing the old one, the right side clip that is riveted to the hatch broke.

Does anyone know if that part can be ordered? Or maybe a generic one substituted?

Will post pics in a bit.

Thanks, George

2. Slopoke

Slopoke Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The first picture is the left side unbroken one, the second picture is the right side broken one. Ouch!

20201014_181939.jpg 20201014_182002.jpg

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In your area there's prius' at wrecking yards... Pik n' pull is one of the more popular ones... This way the part will cost less than $5 and you'll get to practice removal and installation on a wrecked car so you'll already have experience when you put the part on your car.

4. Slopoke

Slopoke Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you PriusCamper, but unfortunately there isn't a Prius at a PicknPull closer than 250 miles from me. And I already know how to put it on, but want an unbroken clip to hold it better.

5. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hi. I just replaced both of mine. I bought it from a Toyota dealership. $3.20 each. Buy two. The old one probably has dried out plastic. You will need to drill out the old ones and use a pop rivit tool to install the new ones. Olathe Toyota will ship to your door. Here is a picture of the part number.
    Good luck

Attached Files:

TMR-JWAP likes this.
  6. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Does the new clip also include the replacement rivet?

7. ColoradoCrow

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The new “clip” is basically a pop rivit with plastic around it and the round plastic looks like a top hat brim. I’ll see if I have a picture. also yes the other part inside the spoiler needs to be checked to make sure IT is bot broken as well.

TMR-JWAP likes this.
  8. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thanks, this is good info. I've removed/installed a few of the spoilers and have always wondered what I was going to do if/when one of those finally ended up breaking, lol. I think I'll just go ahead and order a few to keep on the shelf.

I just tried to pull that part number up on ToyotaPartsDeal and it shows as being for a 2001-2007 Hylander and not compatible with the Gen 2 Prius. Gives a part number of 76879-47 010 for the Prius.
    $2.43 each if anyone else needs them.

Did you see anything obvious as to why it wouldn't be compatible? Could be something as simple as the rivet is 1 mm longer, lol.

#8 TMR-JWAP, Nov 9, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
  9. ColoradoCrow

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hmmm no. That picture I took from the parts bag I just ordered and installed them on my 08 Prius. The sheet metal on the rear hatch is nothing special. 1mm stuff. The pop rivit is plenty long enough. That just seems like a Toyota system data entry error to me.

10. Slopoke

Slopoke Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you for your reply.

I did end up gluing it with plastic epoxy I got at Home Depot. Two part stuff, I let it cure overnight, and seems to be stronger than original.

If I ever break another one, I now know what to order.

Thanks again.