1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sportivo Suspension Upgrade

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by cairo94507, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Pious

Pious New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NuShrike @ Oct 26 2006, 11:18 AM) [snapback]338726[/snapback]</div>

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks!!

2. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NuShrike @ Oct 26 2006, 07:24 AM) [snapback]338505[/snapback]</div>
    No, I don't. But I do see in the parts list there's supposed to be one included. Oh well...was looking at some cool TRD logos on www.brandsport.com.

3. GreenSpeed

GreenSpeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I just checked with my local Toyota Dealership and they quoted about $900~$1000 for the order of the package.

However i checked with them on 'installation/labor' costs and the service department told me $720!!! Wholly ShitE! How did you people install it? I don't have the tools or the know how to install my own coilovers and struts. Is that what you guys paid?! Or am i getting ripped of by a sneaky dealer?

4. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Green Speed @ Nov 2 2006, 05:20 PM) [snapback]342858[/snapback]</div>
    I have to check the invoice from the dealer. My independant mechanic quoted "$300-400" but since he didn't do the installation, I don't know what it would have really cost.

I think I paid around $500-600, if memory serves. They did a nice job n' all, but when they removed the back seat cushion to get at the shocks they weren't very nice to it...now it just doesn't fit as well and seems a little loose.

That bummed me out.

I read a write up for doing your own springs, and the way they did it was to remove all the stuff in the area of the cowl...it did appear to be a little involved. I don't know if it's because he didn't have a spring compressor or not, though.

At the time I was concerned that only the dealer could reset the height of the HID headlights (the TRD kit gives the car a bit of a rake) and set the 'zero null' (???) or something having to do with the steering...but apparently they ended up having to do neither, which seems to make it a pretty straighfoward job for any reasonably experienced (not to mention careful!!) mechanic.

Also, alignment-wise, they say to ask for +.05 toe-in at each front wheel.

5. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Green Speed @ Nov 2 2006, 02:20 PM) [snapback]342858[/snapback]</div>
    I installed it at a local performance shop for $300. Then, I went to Longo to get the alignment and the HID leveling done. Longo has a "Certified Technician" working on my Prius so he's a bit confused on how to do the HID leveling.

I'll quote my cost when Longo is done.

6. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I will put it out there again for fun. Big O Tires, $365 installed including the 4 wheel alignment. This isn't really rocket science- they are just struts and springs; straight trade out/replacement. Good luck.

7. GreenSpeed

GreenSpeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cairo94507 @ Nov 2 2006, 05:38 PM) [snapback]342943[/snapback]</div>
    What'd you mean by that?
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cairo94507 @ Nov 2 2006, 05:38 PM) [snapback]342943[/snapback]</div>
    Guess my Toyota dealer is really ripping me off huh? Sighz, i guess i never really did trust them.

Oh! One question though. If you purchase the set from Sigma's website and have it installed by a third party (personal mechanic, Big O Tires, etc) will it affect your warranty?

8. GreenSpeed

GreenSpeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PRIUS13 @ Oct 22 2006, 09:28 PM) [snapback]336649[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, i haven't seen any Prii like mine either. Whoopee, and i haven't heard any like mine either *All Smilez*

9. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When I said I will put it out there again, I meant that is the 2nd time I have posted that information.

I have no comment on what your dealership may or may not be doing to you. That is for you to decide. I just do not like making decisions in a vacuum. More information means better decissions.

As far as the warranty, they are Toyota parts being replaced by Toyota parts at a nationwide reputable repair facility that does this kind of stuff all day long. So, there you go. If something happened will you have to fight it? I do not know and do not worry about that unless or until it happens. I am pretty sure however, that if something happened that were a mechanical installation error, attributed to their technician's error, Big-O would be resposonsible and take care of it.

Good luck.

10. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    So trying to get my steering wheel straight when it was perfect after the steering recall, but then started steering left to drive straight after a 4 wheel alignment, so I attacked my left-rear out-of-spec toe again with Longo Toyota.

They're telling me that the Sportivo's lowering of 1/2 inch in the rear will throw my rear toe out of spec because when they "raised it factory height, the toe was in spec". This means it went from 0.38 toe to maybe 0.2x something.. which is still pretty out from 0.0, IMO.

Is this bogus? As I understand it, torsion beam rear suspension shouldn't change toe nor camber because it's basically a solid beam.

As it is, Longo won't shim it to get it corrected, but hopefully they got my steering fixed.