1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Spotted a New Model - Ugly Incarnate

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by hill, Mar 29, 2017.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Blew past me with Manufacturers' plates & i had NO clue what the heck it was, only that its looks were just creepy wrong. Kind of reminded me of a mini version of the Nissan Juke, sometimes called a Nissan Joke. Sorry for the horrible picture quality but on short notice that's all I could get iff before it headed into the beach areas
    20170328_185258.jpg
    That fuzzy picture i took was enough to remind me of the generalities - till I could google research the thing later on. Found it;
    Toyota.C-HR.R-Code.HiRes-26.jpg
    As a driver of one of the 1st few 100 Nissan Leafs sold in the US, I respect the ugly car notion - if it has function. Apart from the need to do serious redesign to get rid of all the scoops & bumpy irregular structures - this leaves me with the same aversion as the AMC Pacer & the Aztec, all squashed into one. If markets need one more small version of a mini CUT that inherently disturb drivers - then it'll do well.
    Called a C-HR
    I don't think the thing is in production yet. And I hope toyota has the good sense to never follow through. WHEW! rant complete

#1 hill, Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    everything will look like a transformer eventually. resistance is futile.

Data Daedalus and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I wasn't too sure if it was just my own subjective thinking - so I looked for reader comments & found some;
    Geneva LIVE: 2017 Toyota C-HR - LeftLaneNews
    To quote one fella on that review, he said, "I think I found where all the ugly sticks have been hiding" .
    And yeah, the words Japanese Robo animation got thrown around there too. That said - I did enjoy a good Astro Boy cartoon back in the 1960s but that was what ... ½ a century ago?

Data Daedalus likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think the sci-fi craze has finally overwhelmed the designers.

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Pacer and Aztek ugly is easy, you have work at Fiat Multipla ugly:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    At least you could see out of the windows in those things. But this one?
    rg-geneva-toyota-c-hr-3_653.png
    Not so much. They don't come out and say it's going to be hybridized if it makes it to market, but they do allude to it having some of the Toyota hybrid Tech, whatever that means.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, these rolling dumbbells are getting on my nerves. You'd never see Sean Connery in something like that.

8. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A face only a mother could love. Yikes!

SM-G900F ?

9. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think the Zen guru behind the design project of this vehicle convinced Toyota to build it, when he sat at the head of the vehicle's finalisation meeting, adopting the "lotus sitting position" legs folded beneath him, and floating appropriately (and steadily) about a metre off the ground.

Mysterious panpipe meditation music would have been playing in the background, creating an unmistakable aura of peace.

He would have resembled a meditating monk. With his eyes half closed in serene reflection, he doubtlessly said the following words;

"If you build it with Hybrid technology........they...will...come"

SM-G900F ?

#9 Data Daedalus, Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's the C-HR (Coupe High Rider. Check out the thread in Other Cars). It's going on sale very soon. That's one of the colours you saw with the optional two-tone scheme (the others are blue, silver and grey I believe).

US is only getting a 2.0 litre engine mated to a CVT. It was destined to be a Scion so a hybrid wasn't in the works. It may arrive later now that it's a Toyota (and they can get the paperwork for certification).

Elsewhere, it's available with a 1.2 litre turbo with a 6-spd manual or CVT or a 1.8 litre HSD (same as the new Prius).

US models come in XLE and XLE Premium trims. It's not meant for ppl like you @hill :p. It's more for young professionals (single or couple) with no kids. It's small, thus easy to park. It's edgy without being too out there (like the Juke and it's crocodile face) and it has enough premium features (like soft touch plastic, SKS, TSS-P and so forth). We're still missing a few items (again, because it was destined to be a Scion) such as HUD, LED headlights and no navigation or leather.

11. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    At least one European poster in the other thread already has it.

I like what I've seen in photos; it doesn't have the hour glass face nor any excessive grill either. The umberhulk headlights of the Juke are the point too far for me, but I do wonder if it or the C-HR has the least usable cargo space.

12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    #12 hill, Mar 30, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2017