1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured SPOTTED! *UNWRAPPED* 2016 Prius spotted this morning!

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Sporin, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I want to see how many people who are now saying they hate it, it "looks hideous" etc may change their opinions after seeing it in person.

Just saying... Things can appear one way in a photo (especially when half covered, hidden behind cacti, crap ohotos like that) and then look quite different when viewed in person.

I'll reserve judgement until the 8th when I get to see it in person.

2. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Danny likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Looks to be the new 17" rim. Wonder if they'll finally give up on plastic wheel covers for 15"?

4. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    These are likely 17's. Click link in post #25, I think the 15's are blacked out with the camouflage!

WheelCovers in trim One or Two, ok, but don't sell a Prius Four with solar panel for 30k with the same wheelcover!

walter Lee and cycledrum like this.
  5. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What looks to be? No doubt, that is it!

First reaction, wow, those Sea Green Taiwan (?) renderings had a LOT of things right, even the plastic panels behind rear windows

I think it is a good step forward for the car's exterior: Still very much a Prius, looks right sized. Front end is modern and fresh, sculpted.
    Hmmm, the length of rear passenger windows, seems short. Need to see.
    Wow, they are really holding out to reveal or not if split rear window or not. I say a Prius liftback must have split rear window to work.

How about that interior? It matters!!!! That's what people see all the while driving down the road ... the interior! Needs to be sharp, well laid out and luxurious enough for the cost of the car.

One of THE blandest cars I can think of is the 10 year old Accord Coupes: no character lines, no edges anywhere, so bland IMO.

anyhow, back to the show ...

#25 cycledrum, Aug 21, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
    Sergiospl likes this.
  6. Much More Better

Much More Better Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "Seeing it in person" might rescue some cars. This is D.O.A. Count me out. This is nasty.

#26 Much More Better, Aug 21, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  7. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I actually was curious to see what cycledrum would say because unlike others who want a whole new look, he understands that Prius needs to stay Prius, and I agree!

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    why is jalopnic calling it a 2017?

9. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Because they are freaking Jalopnik?

I'm just dreading if he buys one and the seats after time become uncomfortable... :D

10. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That would really suck wouldn't it? I don't need more of that. Still tweaking what I've got and although it'll never be great, acceptable will do.

11. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Meh. No really Meh.

Looks better then '15 nosejob. I start suspecting they uglied up '15 to make '16 look better.

It looks higher than Gen3 but IMHO it is more of visual effect as a result of lowering front.

Will need to sit in one when they get them to dealership. I would consider one if were on the market for new car, but it isn't much better to trade Gen3 in for, just saying.

12. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Now that the "cat is out of the bag", they should let Prius Experts take pictures on the 8th, right Prius Team? :D

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's what the reveal is all about!(y) i hope they don't put a pretty girl next to it and make it look even worse.:(

TonyPSchaefer likes this.
  14. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wonder if the tail lights are the same..I actually like the new look seeing as im actually a fan of the Mirai look. Now if they put the interior of the Mirai into the Prius minus the capacitive touch crap for the HVAC controls that would be excellent. Come to the think of it the roof looks very similar where it meets the rear glass

[​IMG]

Fone ?

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    90's camry?

i agree with cycle, the interior is more important to me than the exterior, but performance trumps everything.

when i think about it, most cars are just boring. making them awful looking takes a lot of effort!;)

cycledrum likes this.
  16. Starship_Enterprius

Starship_Enterprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    Japanese style is always 1 rung lower. Ugly stands for normal, and bland stands for sporty.

I'm hoping it looks better in real life and grow on me...the color black could be a good option to hide some of the quirkiness.

NickInNJ likes this.
  17. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I dont really like the front headlights.. that lower corner, how it has that weird triangle pointing towards the front center of the car.. doesnt look smooth/clean.. its like putting a flame job or lighting bolts on the side of a car but having them in the wrong direction.. just.. seems wrong

And the taillights.. I guess its kind of a new thing.. having super long taillights.. but they just seem to extend too far down.. to me, that gives the impression that the back end of the car is huge.. a little unproportional

I didnt like the black plastic piece behind the back window.. but I think I would learn to "appreciate" it..

And lastly, that blue one.. I love that color.. wish they had something like that in 2012 rather than the darker blue it replaced from 2010-2011

18. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I can't find the article I read a few months ago about why people always have a strong reaction opposed to new designs of existing products. So all these "I don't like it" reactions are normal. Like Paradox, I'm withholding my reaction until the 8th when better photos are available, both inside and out.

19. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Define performance. My tire-kicker kid drove our Gen3 through PA/NY (there are some nice tracks in Alleghenies and Fingerlake area), had no prob to induce 4-wheel slides. With relatively inexpensive mods Gen3 is good enough for any LRR or all-season tire you can through at it.

If 0-60 your thing buy 'vett.

20. Russell Frost

Russell Frost the whatdrives.us guy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, so...

-Does anyone know who the idiot in the blue pocket tee is driving the car with the camo flying off? He's also seen in some of the parked images?

-Do we know where the parked photos were shot? Was it a commercial or some exec's house?

And finally, as I've said on What Drives Us, for a company that claims to want to keep all this hush hush and not want to blow the already blown US reveal, it seems they've never heard of enclosed trailer to move important vehicles or decent vision blocks when it is parked.

I say it's all marketing.

All of which ignores the styling of the vehicle on which I will reserve my opinion until I see it, in person, in September.