1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured SPOTTED! *UNWRAPPED* 2016 Prius spotted this morning!

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Sporin, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Kardahs

Kardahs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Tideland Prius likes this.
  2. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    No one asked my opinion, but for what it's worth: (nothing)

The G4 exterior is better than I had imagined.
    The front view is the best IMHO. I'm not crazy about the headlights, and I suspect they will be an expensive problem in time, but I'll get use to them. I have reason to hope the front "chin" is not so low as the G3 that it will drag, like the G3.
    The side profile is not near as bad as I feared. The roof peak is not as far forward as I had suspected.
    The rear is another story. From directly behind, it looks too much like a pick-up truck. The sill beneath the bottom window is too straight, and gives the appearance of being too high. Plus, the lower window looks larger, and the upper window smaller. The blacked out sheetmetal at the bottom adds to the illusion of making it look even higher. Finally, the tail lights along both sides look like the side lights on a PU where they do not occur on the tail gate.

I was one that liked the "flying bridge" so the interior looks clumsy to me. I liked the placement of the "shifter" on the G3 because I frequently used "B" It will not be as convenient in the new location. The screen appears to be bigger. That's good. And, I like the center position. My wife does also, since she is the Navigator" and likes to see what is going on.
    I dislike the bare white metal. What were they thinking??? I'd suppose that will be corrected in the 2017.

But it really doesn't matter. I'm not buying one. I love my 2015 Av-hybrid, and would not even think of downsizing.

I wish you all well, and happy motoring.

#922 Felt, Sep 9, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That wasn't true between the gen2 and the gen3. While the gen3 got better MPG for a regular driver, the gen2 had a higher potential for a hypermiler.

bisco likes this.
  4. JTM2955

JTM2955 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  5. kensiko

kensiko Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Tesla Model S
    Model:
    II
    I choose Revolt !

[​IMG]

6. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Felt: the new car supposedly rides a few inches lower, so I suspect there will be no difference in "dragging"

the fact that they announced nothing in terms of specifics leads me to believe that they are having a very hard time meeting the numbers they have touted of 10% efficiency improvements. a 10% improvement on the current numbers, for 12k miles/yr, is a net reduction of 25 gallons = $60/yr – not something to jump up and down about.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    definitely deserves a thumbs up though.(y)

zepzoso likes this.
  8. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That requires an assumption that Toyota is marketing this generation of Prius to the same consumers as in the past, ones who deemed efficiency among their highest priorities. We've clearly been told that isn't the case. Attention won't be on MPG anymore.

Read the quotes. “Prius set the global benchmark for hybrids, but now is breaking its own boundaries with more engaging style and fun-to-drive dynamics.” & “What was once a rational purchase that for many customers focused on fuel economy, is now so much more. This Prius will invite new drivers into the category by delivering an impressive look and feel, built on the foundation of safety and eco-consciousness that define the vehicle’s heritage.

This new Prius is intended to draw a new audience, expanding even further into the mainstream. The technology is so well proven and so well known as this point, focus has shifted to other aspects of ownership. Those buyers simply don't care about the detail you've grown to expect in the past. They won't care if it's 9, 10, or even 11 percent. All they'll want to know is that the motors, engine, and battery have all been improved.

The other part is just ordinary business. The reveal is just first step down a long road to attract customers. It makes no sense telling everything all at once when there are many major autoshows to come still. Why not build up anticipation each step of the way?

orenji, usbseawolf2000 and JTM2955 like this.
  9. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    For what it's worth,

On one of the many post, articles, and comments I have read since last night, one was that the Prius shown in Las Vegas, is a prototype.
    That changes "can" appear between now and when it is released to the public for sale.
    Interesting, if true.

lensovet - If it is indeed "a few inches lower" it would be virtually undrivable in the west, where curbs and gutters are the surface water storm drainage, and there is a significant dip between a main street and a side street.
    I suspect it is more likely that the suspension will raise and lower, depending on something (not sure what) speed? load? or perhaps driver controlled. There is no advantage to being low and aerodynamic at city speeds.

#929 Felt, Sep 9, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  10. godzillaismad

godzillaismad Member

Having seen some of the pics, the vehicle is definitely more appearing front and side IMHO. Still not sure about the back though, they might have wanted it to resemble the Mirai too much (hence stuff it up)

Like someone already mentioned, it would be interesting see what the rejected exterior design was. Somehow I suspect we might have already seen it; the Taiwanese mag showing the dimension of the next gen Prius might be it. If that's the case, I am not sure I like the back either, it's too rounded and too conservation. I will have to go to the showroom once it is available down under next year.

Having seen some articles about the new Prius and the usual negative readers feedback on the styling, this will only continue when the spec is released. The usual drone under heavy acceleration, too slow, diesel is more fuel efficient, blah blah blah... Nothing new really. Just a little off topic, I really hope Toyota shoots out a Prius Sport Coupe, with the already tried and true V6 HSD that will do 0-60mph in 5 seconds and still get 40mpg! That would shut some of the critics up for a while.

11. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Well, one thing Toyota accomplished with their "big Vegas announcement"
    They succeeded in killing off interested PC writers.

I routinely follow 4 threads on PC. There has not been one new comment any any of the 4.

Mendel Leisk and cmth like this.
  12. cmth

cmth Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You can count me in that group of PC writers Felt. And I agree with your point that Gen4 view directly from behind is not great - certainly not to my taste, I was hoping they will make the spoiler part less prominent but they have done the opposite.

I am actually very surprised early reviewers were "Blown Away" by this design - and judging by the response here I have a hard time believing that Toyota picked a broad spectrum of users for feedback. If this car appeals to a broader group, it would certainly not be for its looks. If I do somehow end up getting a Gen4, I am pretty sure I will resent some of its features and that is very strange because the first time I saw Gen3 back in 2009, I could not think of anything I disliked about it.

Its a shame because I think they have achieved quite a bit of technical advancements in Gen4. Obviously, I would be waiting for the next reveal and a test drive to decide. I just wish we had the Avalon Hybrid here in the UK, I would have gone for that. The other good options for me are Lexus IS300h or NX300h neither of which are as economical as my current Gen3. I also suspect some of the advancements made in Gen4 such as Higher battery charge/discharge rates and better ICE will trickle down to Lexus later but I am not sure when.

Decisions decisions ...

Felt likes this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's one thing: NO ONE commented on the car being suspended by thin cables, lowered down to the stage. I mean, they must have been sweating bullets on this, and no one cares, remembers.

Yeah..., let's get back to failing 12 volt issues. :ROFLMAO:

14. JTM2955

JTM2955 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hey gentlemen, I watched the "Big Vegas Announcement". I was underwhelmed.

It started late and it ended early. We saw it suspended by super thin cables with two guys inside. They put it on a turn table and yaked about the new, wonderful styling.
    The camera was on these two guys that were eventually joined by the Japanese styling guys.

The exposure of the Gen 4 Prius was maybe a minute. So nothing else to say other than I think Toyota should have given us a better exposure of their new Prius.

15. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    One thing I did notice and perhaps you did as well. The bottom of the vehicle appears to be almost perfectly flat. My 2010 had a false bottom; panels that were attached to improve aerodynamics I suppose. I have no idea if the G4's bottom pan is fat, or has attached panels. Once on a trip in my 2010, the panels started to come lose. What a mess. It took two trips to Toyota dealers to wire them up until I could get home.

#935 Felt, Sep 10, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  16. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Since they didn't open the hood or allow anyone to look at the battery (to my knowledge), who's to say how much weight they saved on this particular prototype to be able to suspend it from those cables. :rolleyes:

17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    They drive it a few feet, seems functional. It'd be interesting to see them disconnect those cables in the few seconds the car was out of view.

The battery was "discovered", someone accidently popped the rear seat cushion up and off, at least on one of the cars on display. :)

18. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Independent rear suspension and the fact that HV battery pack is under the rear seats, makes me happy. Not only it is more efficient, the ride should be better and handles better. The leaks indicates 145-150 hp. I would imagine 145hp for the Eco Edition and 150hp for the Touring Edition. Lighter car with more power means better acceleration.

I think Toyota hit a home run with Gen4. The improvements are greater than the jump from Gen2 to Gen3. They just need to improve the interior materials (soft).

orenji likes this.
  19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a different car. I saw both at the same time. Cool effect though.

20. civicdriver06

civicdriver06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

Nice to see they kept the HUD,but what is it capable of ?
    In Germany with the Facelift of German version Prius v there still is a HUD on board,but it's no longer capable of transferring nav info to the windscreen which is really enjoying for owners !
    I hope that's not the case withe the new Gen 4 Prius !