1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Spreadsheets for Tracking Gas Mileage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by gordonr, Apr 5, 2006.

1. gordonr

gordonr Member

Before reinventing the wheel, I was wondering if any other Priuschat members have developed interesting spreadsheets for tracking fill-ups and resulting gas mileage.

I was looking to do something that captured the basic data and also did some averaging and segmenting of the data. Thought it would be interesting to track overall results, but also results by season.

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    There are several floating around.
    You are more than welcome to try mine. I also wrote a little manual.

The developer is a great guy, the software is sound, but the Sales Rep is pushy and the Customer Service is horrible. :p

3. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Apr 5 2006, 10:36 AM) [snapback]235356[/snapback]</div>
    Em, I downloaded it and started to change the numbers to reflect what I had. No calculations seems to be happening. I don't see any formulas; when I click on a location with a number I get a formula like "=A1!A7" if I click on cell A7. In short everything is manual entry. Pity, I must be doing something wrong. I've tried it with clearing contents and just changing your entry. :(

4. biff_debris

biff_debris WOOF!

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Here's mine with the current data for both my car and my wife's. Data on the odd pages, graphs on the even ones. Just enter the date of your fill-up, the number of miles since the last fill-up, the number of gallons you put in and how much you paid. I found that the raw numbers tended to jump around a lot, so it calculates a four-tank rolling average to smooth out the graph.

Enjoy!

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Apr 5 2006, 09:40 PM) [snapback]235641[/snapback]</div>
    I think I see what's going on. In the first place, the tab you are look at is the tab named "Year1". That tab is purely just a copy of the first year's data. The formula you see isn't what you typed but rather "=All!A7" which is close, but when you scrutinize it, you see that it's referencing the tab named "All" and specifiying cell A7 of that tab.

In order to get all the calcualtions, you want to be on the "ALL" tab. The Year1 and Year2 tabs are just a bunch of refereces to copy info. Tell you what, let me try it again. Try the file I've attached here.

6. EricGo

EricGo New Member

I'm a luddite. Two addition problems, two division problems, and presto! Done.

7. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
  8. gordonr

gordonr Member

I ended up making an Excel spreadsheet to track my mileage. An unpopulated copy of the file is attached below. The first 100 rows have the formulas in the cells. You can add more rows by highlighting the last filled in row (100) and dragging downward. Columns where the user inputs data have a "white" background and calculated columns have a "yellow" background. All calculated columns test to see if data exist in a particular row. If it doesn't, it supresses display of calculated data in that row. This just serves to make the spreadsheet look better. I'm no spreadsheet guru, so for all I know there is a better way to accomplish this, but what I did works. The spreadsheet assumes you are starting out without a full tank of gas. The odometer reading in the first row is the mileage where you first filled up the car completely. Latter calculations use this first full tank odometer reading to factor out miles driven before you had your first full tank. Subsequent calculations also assume that your filling your tank each time you buy gas.

The file has two tabs when you bring it up in Excel. One tab is a slightly more simplified accounting where you just input your odometer reading (along with the other data). In this one, the spreadsheet calculates "Tank Miles". Since your not accounting for 1/10's of a mile which may have been driven, the resulting calculations may be off by a very small amount (e.g. +/- 0.1 mpg in calculated mpg). The other tab has you input your "Tank Miles" and uses that number in it's calculations. Just delete the tab that you choose not to use.

Best of luck if you use this spreadsheet, and if you think up improvements please share them back with us.

Download spreadsheet here: [attachmentid=3893]