1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Springs installation guide?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by NineScorpions, Dec 3, 2011.

1. NineScorpions

NineScorpions Economy, Meet Style!!

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I swear I saw a thread on here a few weeks back with someone showing the step by step for spring installation, but have been using the search feature with no results so far. Anyone?

2. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No offense but if you need a step by step guide to install the springs you shouldn't be doing it yourself. Suspension modifications are some of the trickiest around.

3. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Here's the instructions I used for my Tanabe NF-210 install - they're pretty good.

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...s-modifications/82404-diy-spring-install.html

The job isn't very difficult for someone with some experience working on cars. The toughest part was working out how the rented spring compressor was supposed to be set up. I had the alignment checked afterward, and the drop didn't affect the alignment.

1 person likes this.
  4. SuperchargedMR2

SuperchargedMR2 Diehard Rams Fan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I disagree. Changing out the springs is straight forward if you have the right tools. Just having a step by step guide to follow if changing them out for the first time can just make sure you get everything right.

+1

1 person likes this.
  5. NineScorpions

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Bingo...thank you sir!

6. NineScorpions

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Exactly...a little guidance never hurts!

7. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hmm I guess it depends on your level of expertise. For some reason I was under the impression that you were a complete novice. But that's just myself, haha.

8. NineScorpions

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for your write up...it was extremely helpful during my install.

9. lpe350

lpe350 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just wanted to thank everyone for the installation guide. I took all of the suggestions and I installed my Tein springs (that I got from Lulzchicken) yesterday on a beautiful late December NY day (52degrees) in just 2 hours without air tools or a spring compressor. This forum is full of great information, thanks for sharing! :)

10. SuperchargedMR2

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    How did you get the front springs off without a spring compressor? I would think it would be very dangerous to just loosen the nut & let all the spring energy explode. :eek:

11. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the last time i messed around with suspension parts was when i owned my lincoln mark VII. i had the car on jack stands and i used the jack to lower things. i did the same with my 318i bmw before that.

12. lpe350

lpe350 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I used my 1/2 drive and backed off the nut while it was in the car before I jacked it up. The weight of the car was on it and I just jacked up the car and removed it. The Tein spring is shorter and with a little weight from my left arm leaning on it, I was able to start treading the nut back on a few turns. Then I just used my socket to tighten it up the rest of the way. It was said before that having two people makes the job easier but I didn't have that luxury.

13. NineScorpions

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have to admit that on my LF...I compressed the spring to relieve the pressure off of the strut bolt. But not enough...so when I got the nut off the bolt, there was a quick jolt from the strut and spring housing. Luckily for me...I had compressed the spring so the actual "jolt" was only about 2-3". I did not make the same mistake on the RF...and compressed the spring much more. Perhaps there are homemade work arounds, but those spring compressors do their job!

14. lpe350

lpe350 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

I agree with you 100%. In no way am I recommending anyone to NOT use them. I am just stating that I didn't use them myself and that's how I did it without the springs exploding and possibly injuring someone. ;)

15. jc562

jc562 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    me and buddy have done a handful of spring swaps. we normally just shoot the spring into a box lol extremely dangerous and i definitely dont recommend it but were lazy and and sometimes the autozone spring compresser is to thick to fit between the coils of some springs.

16. SuperchargedMR2

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Very interesting way of doing it. I've always had a spring compressor so I've always done it that way even though it adds some time to the job. I'm usually able to get the lower spring on without using the spring compressor too.

17. SuperchargedMR2

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've had that happen before too. I always make sure that the spring has some play in it before removing the strut nut now.

18. SuperchargedMR2

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just one time something goes wrong would be bad. Get a proper spring compressor if the one you have doesn't fit. The one I bought many years ago has fit every spring I've worked on & it was not expensive.

This is something like I use & I've had it for 20+ years.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B000M61KTC?tag=priuschatcom-20