1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sprint and Bluetooth

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by mretc1, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

If you get the discount, yup! That's actually a Nextel rule they had for a long time.

2. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I can't remember when that rule kicked in for Sprint customer, but it was either Sep or November. So it would depend on when you upgraded.

3. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    He does have a rather inflated ego, doesn't he?

I have yet to see him admit that he has gotten anything wrong. Now that you have started posting here, there is no longer a need to frequent that site.

4. DaWeav

DaWeav Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four

So, for everyone,

Exactly what are all the issues/quirks that the a940 has when working with the Prius?

I see Vagabond already mentioned not to use the Nav touchscreen to dial, and I agree. With all the Voice activated dialing features in this a940 or other headsets, using the touchscreen would be 19th century.

I think Vagabond or Wynder posted somewhere that the stearing wheel buttons let you answer calls from the a940 and hang them up too, right?

Dialing from the NAV's POI screen would be nice if you need to call the POI listed, so does the a940 support outgoing calls when you select the DIAL button on the screen for the POI?

Also, does the battery indication and cellular signal streangth appear on the Nav screen from the a940?

And, does the a940 allow you to transfer calls from the Prius to the a940 and/or from the a940 to the Prius at all when you get in and out of the car?

I just don't want to have to fiddle with a phone that much when I'm in the car. And like Vagabond said, its all about what your willing to live with and without! So please tell me what I'm going to be able to live with and without in regards to the a940 and the Prius please.

5. Wynder

Wynder New Member

The 940:

o You can pair the phone with the car.
    o You can push your contacts one at a time to the cars' address book.
    o You can use the steering wheel to make/answer/hangup calls.
    o The signal strength and battery bars don't show on the MFD.

Now, I haven't tried shutting the car off in the middle of a conversation, but I've heard that it does pass the call back off to the phone. So it should be good... I only have a package #6 so, no nav for me. :)

As for issues with the 940 and Sprints' Power Vision service, there's speculation that when the phone stops talking to the network (because you're not using the internet), it tries to pick up the old signal whether the EV-VDO (whatever the acronym is), or the regular digital which may not be there any more, so the picture mail queue will get stuck until you restart the phone or go access the internet and establish a new connection.

Also, when browsing some sites (I believe that have a secure sign-in) it'll start asking for proxy sign-in information. This is a well know issue on sprintusers.com and a firmware fix has been apparently in the works for sometime... No sight of it yet.

6. DaWeav

DaWeav Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :blink: I'm still not convinced that this is not a conspiracy by the Cell Phone manufacturers to make their cell phone products not completely compatible with other manufacturers car kits like our Toyota Prius's. In previous treads, a lot of Prius owners said the phone needed to support the OBEX Bluetooth Profile to make it more compatible with the Prius. But, as you'll see below, that appears to be incorrect since the a940 has OBEX and the Palm Treo 650 and the RAZR V3 does not. Owners of ther Palm Treo 650 and Motorola RAZR V3 are saying that these two cell phones are more compatible with the Prius than the a940 appears to be.

I looked up the a940, the Treo 650, and the Motorola RAZR V3 on the Bluetooth Qualified Products page, and here is what it specifies the manufacturer has included with their specific Bluetooth features;

Treo 650.........................a940.................RAZR V3
    DUN-DT...........................DUN-GW............DUN-GW
    HandsFree-AG.................HandsFree-AG...HandsFree-AG
    Headset-AG.....................Headset-AG......Headset-AG
    OPP-Client.......................OPP-Client........OPP-Client
    OPP-Server......................OPP-Server.......OPP-Server
    Generic Object Exchange..........................Generic Object Exchange
    Serial-DevA.....................Serial-DevA
    Serial-DevB.....................Serial-DevB
    .......................................FT-Server..........FT-Server
    .......................................GAP..................GAP
    Generic Access
    LAN-DT
    ......................................OBEX
    ......................................BPP-SenderDev
    ......................................FT-Client

Looking between these three cell phones, thinking that the Palm is the most compatible with the RAZR a close second, I'm thinking it's the 'Generic Object Exchange' profile that is the key bluetooth profile for the Prius. Interestingly, the a940 has many more bluetooth profiles than the others though. ;)

Alternatively, it is also leading me to feel it is the manufacturers separate implementation of the HANDSFREE Bluetooth Protocol is the major problem. However, I hope it is not the various Bluetooth Chipset Hardware that is the problem! :eek:

Anyway, I recall other treads that mentioned OBEX was the key for the Prius, but looking at this comparison, it must not be. ARRGGGGHHHH! :angry:

7. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The 940 does support OBEX. It uses VCARD, which is related, but not the same thing.

8. DaWeav

DaWeav Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So, how about the a900 then. What exactly what are all the issues/quirks that the a900 has when working with the Prius?

I saw that you mentioned it has some major problems that should have been fixed with the recent fireware release.

Can the stearing wheel buttons let you answer calls from the a900 and hang them up too?

Can you dial from the NAV's screen, and does the a900 support outgoing calls when you select the DIAL button on the screen for the POI screen?

Does the cellular signal bars appear on the Nav screen from the a900?

And, does the a900 allow you to transfer calls from the Prius to the a900 and/or from the a900 to the Prius at all when you get in and out of the car? (I know that the RAZR allows you to do this.)

Pease tell us what we can expect in regards to the a900 and the Prius now. thanks.

9. Wynder

Wynder New Member

Generally, most phones will do this -- it's a pretty basic feature that's to be expected. You simply have to hit the off-hook button.

You can dial from the PHONE screen when at a stand still. When moving, you may A) only use the speed dial, if you've assigned your numbers to speed dial blocks or B) hit the off the hook button, hit the speech button, and follow the voice prompts to DIAL BY NAME or DIAL BY NUMBER. I don't have the nav package, so I'm not sure about the POI screen.

10. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not ignoring this thread - right now it's a rehash of the same questions that have allready been asked and answered.

I will say there is a beta of the bluetooth fix for the a900 being tested right now.

11. gioffre

gioffre New Member

I have read through this entire thread trying to get some information on BT pairing of Sprint phones with an 06 Prius (PKG 7).

I love my current Samsung SPH-i500 phone, but it does not have BT so I need to switch. I narrwoed down to either the Treo 650 or the PPC-6700. I went out the other night and got the PPC-6700 only because it has EVDO and WiFi.

Now I am trying to get the Contacts uploaded to the Prius. Is there a way to get the entire phone book uploaded instead of doing it one entry at a time? I understand that this is possible with the Treo 650, so if the PPC-6700 can not do it then I will go back and get the Treo.

THANKS for your help.

12. m6scott

m6scott Junior Member

My samsung 920 is able to transfer address book one at a time which is very annoying so I put just a few in . I found out if someone calls you can put them in your "one touch dial" easier than adding in address book via bluetooth. You will not have the name but its there for quick dialing even while driving. So far Bluetooth works pretty good although when my cell rebooted on its own I could not use the phone system in Prius until I turned off car and turned back on. I have voice command on my cell but have not figured out how to get it to work on the Prius phone system? Any ideas on that?

13. DaWeav

DaWeav Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So, I was on the Verizon Wireless site since I'm trying to get a phone for my Prius.

What I found a GOLDMINE for all Prius owners, and other car owners with built in Bluetooth!

Verizon has a web page showing exactly what every Prius owner with the Bluetooth Nav system wants to know about cell phone compatibility with our precious cars.

Check it out; http://dts.vzw.com/how_to_use/bluetooth_car_kit.html

Knowing that the Verizon a970 is the sister of the Sprint a940, this doesn't help much since it appears Samsung is WAY BEHIND! Because, I found it FUNNY how all the Samsung's listed for Verizion all say "PENDING" when it comes to the Toyota Prius and the DENSO bluetooth car kit.

Anyway, they do list the Verizon XV6700 which is the sister to the Sprint PPC6700 which advises it won't display any signal meter, roaming indicators on the HUD. However, I recall that user 'mcitron' was able to send one contact a a time from the PPC6700 to the Prius, but this list shows N/A and that it will not...Very interesting... I was going to get a PPC6700 myself, but when I finally held it in my hands, I noticed I wouldn't be able to use all the great features without my reading glasses since the screen resolution was little too small for my aging eyes. I hate being nearsighted when it comes to the darn little devices.

Bottom line is that Sprint needs to provide this same style of information for their bluetooth cell phones that Verizon is already providing to everyone! BUT THEN, MAYBE VERIZON IS PROVIDING THIS INFORMATION BECAUSE THEY WANT TO AVOID CLASS ACTION LAWSUITS IN THE FUTURE! (a.k.a. the infamous Motorola 710 feasco.)

14. mchinta

mchinta New Member

Vagabond and other members,
    Can you please let every body know once Sprint comes up with new software which fixes Bluetooth bug with Samsung A900?
    Thanks in advance.

15. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm sorry guys, I'm really busy for the past few days; I'll catch up to this thread soon.

16. DaWeav

DaWeav Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  17. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I know currently it will be carried as the 350 was a good seller, but when it should be released I'm not sure. Maybe after any promotions for the 920 are done.

18. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    .......................................And there's the update. Those who have a A900 should charge their batterys and proform the update. Do me a big favor and reply back with their results.

19. DaWeav

DaWeav Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well, it looks like this a900 from Sprint is still a bad. It is definitely not worth the $$$ they are asking for it since a lot of people are having issues with it.

It looks like Samsung’s latest update did not really do anything for the Bluetooth issues other then prolong the owners agony. Please see page two of the following thread where JBHorner posted how this latest update still did nothing to fix the ‘inconsistency’ with his Prius…and I also noted how everyone else was having issues even with standard headsets not even 3 feet away from this ‘so called’ Bluetooth phone.

http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88137

After all, Samsung doesn’t even know how their Bluetooth features in this phone work! Check it out for yourself on their own WEBSITE!
    http://www.samsungwireless.com/techtrain/t...0/hfck_a900.htm
    I’m sure that this manufactures page was intended for Samsung to post their ‘hfck’ (hands free car kit) compatibility for the ‘a900’ phone, hence the ‘/hfck_a900.htm’. Ahhhh, maybe, maybe not…but at least Samsung is not lying to customers because they appear to know themselves that their Bluetooth in this phone will not work properly with any ‘hfck’’s since they say it is “COMING SOON†to the a900!

There is a lot I could say about ‘COMING SOON’, but since they already sale the phone, I’m just going to leave that alone… Also, I’ll continue to play the waiting game for the LG LX-350 to come out and leave all of these Samsung’s alone unless of course they start WORKING soon!

20. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ease up a little please. Let me find out what was worked on and what the future holds first and before the slander.