1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Spy photos of Porsche testing 911 GT3 Hybrid for the streets

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Rybold, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Spyshots: Porsche 911 GT3 Hybrid Prototype - GTSPIRIT.COM

Spy Photos: Porsche 911 GT3 Hybrid Prototype Spotted in Germany

[​IMG]

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Pretty cool. I have no doubt it is for performance over economy, but still it is a chance for an automaker to support lighter/larger capacity energy storage solutions.

The obvious benefits I see, are by using regen and disc braking, the driver can brake much much later in a turn, then using the batteries along with the motor accelerate out of the curve faster than with an ICE only. If there is any economical effect, then in longer races there would be less pitstops.

Something I have wondered about before is why a CVT isn't used in racing? I would think with the right logic behind it, the CVT could keep the power at a maximum no matter what is going on. In a race, this would be a huge advantage over traditional gearings. Does anybody know why they aren't used, or are they and I just don't know about it?!

3. wwest40

wwest40 Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    CVT..??

First, the HSD system's CVT is not really a traditional CVT, it is really a PSD, Power Split Device (analog computer summing machine).

But the bottom line is that neither version is anywhere close to having the capability of handling the kind of power needed for a Porsche 911, or the like.

4. wwest40

wwest40 Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    "..might find its way into road legal.."

The advantage to Porsche's flywheel energy storage device is that it can absorb and disperse energy in much heavier surges than can any electric battery system known today. Road-going vehicles so rarely need/require that level of sudden braking that the expense, and technology, of the flywheel system would be wasted.

But I would early love to drive one a few trips around the Daytona track.

5. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The way I look at it, it's R&D on hybrids. As we all know, auto manufacturers buy each others' cars to study and reverse engineer. We all saw the photos in the desert of Honda testing the Insight alongside a Prius before the Insight's release. I'm sure every automaker has purchased a hybrid from all of the other automakers and is testing to see if there is ANYTHING they can learn from the other. The more automakers we have researching and developing hybrid technology AND COMPETING, the better for all of us.

6. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A manual transmission gearbox basically provides a direct engine-to-wheels gearing system when you select a gear and engage the clutch, which minimizes power losses in the drivetrain.

An automatic transmission has a lot of power loss in the fluid-coupling torque converter.

A belt-drive CVT transmission uses friction belts and variable-diameter pulleys as well as a fluid-coupling torque converter, so in addition to the power losses in the torque converter there is also the question of friction losses in the belt and pulleys as well as durability.

The Prius PSD is a completely different animal by the way-- It is permanently-engaged gears with a fixed gear ratio, not belts and pulleys like a true CVT. Given a properly-engineered planetary gear system that can handle the torque from both a huge electric motor and a powerful gasoline engine, I think a PSD can work as a racing drive system (I think Toyota actually put the PSD into the FT-HS, which is a performance hybrid sports car concept.)

That's my limited understanding anyway.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

CVTs can't handle that much power yet. The recent "break-through" was when Nissan introduced the Murano with a CVT. It was the most powerful car ever fitted with a CVT (240hp, 3.5L V6). Before then, CVTs powered measly 4 cylinder engines. Now it's powering the Maxima and the PSD can power to LS600h L. Eventually, we'll design a CVT that can power a 600hp car.

8. wwest40

wwest40 Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I don't think the LS600h uses "the" PSD, nor the GSh.

For the LS600h to make use of the standard HSD PSD design you would need a >200HP 18,000 RPM electric motor, assuming a 3:1 "split" between the ICE and the opposite summing "machine" input.

9. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The LS600h uses three PSDs in its transmission. File:THS evol 3.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In that schematic, S = Center Sun Gear, C = Planetary Gear Carrier (middle planet gears), and R = outer ring gear. Each S-C-R arrangement is a PSD.

As is true with any of the variants of Toyota's PSD-based hybrid drive system, the LS600h system is also essentially direct gearing to the drive wheels using fixed gear ratios, with no fluid-coupling torque converter but a system of permanently-engaged gears.

10. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Have you ever heard of the phrase "steering with the gas pedal" ?
    When I first read your comment, I was thinking that CVTs cannot handle the torque and power of a race-car engine, but then upon thinking a little more, I thought about how when I used to drive autocross, I used to stay in gear through the corners, and steer with my gas pedal (basically, using your human brain to calibrate the amount of power to keep your car right on the border between static and kinetic friction while going through a corner). When the gear ratio is fixed, you can steer with the gas pedal, but when the gear ratio is not fixed (CVT), you cannot steer with the gas pedal. Another benefit of fixed-gearing is when you let up a little on the gas, engine braking slows you down just slightly enough to slow incrementally, but much, much less than if you were to take your foot off of the pedal completely. (try this in an automatic; and the computer upshifts and you lose all your power and ability to slightly engine-brake)

I think both are reasons why CVTs are not used in racing. I think tradition is just as important, though.

BACK on topic: How did the photographers/website know this Porsche was a hybrid?
    I'm guessing it has something to do with the bodywork and louvers above the rear wheel - both are identical to the hybrid race car?

11. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ah good point. Definately have done that before. It is almost second nature, and I completely forgot how that would be negated with the CVT... I think you hit the nail on the head, this is probably the main reason. I am sure all mechanical problems could be solved, but the technique is not something people would want to give up.

However, perhaps a manual CVT? :) Something where instead of a gear changer, you have a lever. Move the lever, and change the positioning of the tranny belt. So you could essentially manually control an infinite amount of gears, while allowing them to be fixed. Perhaps a couple preset points to simulate fixed gears...

12. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Maybe an electronic button/paddle you could push that would lock the CVT in place. You could do this upon entering a corner, and then when you are through the corner enough to put the pedal all the way down, you unlock it. As with everything, you never completely know how it's going to work until you've tried it.

13. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Didn't Honda include a "paddle shifter" with their current-generation Insight (which has a belt CVT)?

I remember that Nissan did in fact program "lurches" into their CVTs to simulate "gear shifting" like you would experience in an automatic multispeed transmission car too.

As far as the Porsche goes... From the scant descriptions floating around the web, it seems to be using a variant of the KERS system that was developed for Formula 1. Is that really a "hybrid" system (as in hybrid electric vehicles)?

14. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Honda has 7 virtual gears in the insight that locks in a gear ratio on the cvt. They also have a real manual on the cr-z. The honda trick won't work as easily on the hsd, as there isn't a linear relationship between engine rpm and speed. The hsd could simulate engine drag and torque with virtual gear ratio though.

15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Hugh? I thought the 5.0L V8 in Lexus' 600h has 400hp ... even before you throw in the electric motors' hp.

Whoops!
    Should'a read more posts.

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah sorry Hill, I was thinking cone & belt... traditional CVTs more than planetary gearsets.