1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Spy Shots: Toyota's baby Prius C spotted for the first time

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by krelborne, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Did I miss something - were the dimensions of the rear leg room on the Prius c leaked somewhere, or are we just guessing? :confused:

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Guessing. At this point, we know the Prius has midsize-like rear legroom. The Prius c is most likely to have compact-like rear legroom which would be a few inches fewer than the Prius.

3. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

it will be like Corolla.. which is petty good.

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Can Prius c have more rear leg room than Insight and Volt?

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Your Corolla or ours? ;)

Ours is just right for me. I can fit in the backseat with my knees a few centimetres from the seatback. Can't slouch like I can in the Camry or Prius.

6. billnchristy

billnchristy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Did anyone catch the ultra-low discplacement engine line?

What the heck would that be? 1l or smaller? I mean there are 1.4s out there right now.

I'm sure nobody knows, and that was just a guess but it seems to me they have a chance to offer both performance and economy in this and would really be a bit of a failure if it doesn't deliver both.

Sure you can get 60mpg with a very small engine and have Prius or slower performance but if you could fit the Prius drivetrain in there and still get 50+ and have ridiculous output for the cars size I think you will get more interest...also if all 4 Prii share a drivetrain you have less parts and lines to deal with.

7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If they develop and ultra-low displacement engine for use in the Prius c then you can bet it will also be used in cars like the Yaris. I doubt they would create a one-off engine just for the c. I think their primary goal would be fuel efficiency and not to create a sports car with somewhat ok fuel efficiency. That idea didn't work for Honda and their CRZ. I think that for the c to really be a hit it would need to get 60mpg otherwise people will just buy the normal Prius unless the price is VERY low.

Ford is developing a 1L engine and with their announcement of the CMax hybrid and plug-in hybrid and their commitment to electrifying their fleet I think Toyota will need to step up their game to maintain their crown. :)

8. billnchristy

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm just saying that if a C could possibly weigh in at 300lbs less than a Prius (using the V model) and gear it the way they did the V it could possibly maintain Prius fuel economy but with a good bit more performance.

CR-Z is a complete failure in my eyes...Prius performance with none of the comfort, storage, or capabilities.

9. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I doubt Toyota is developing a new small engine. They have lots of small engines already used around the world. They are probably just tinkering with it to pass the fed's rules if anything.

Looks nice and compact. The Prius is a boat which is nice when you need to haul stuff but still seems like a waste most of the time. I do often wonder if they just took the Prius and chopped out the back seats and hatch area to make an itty bitty car, how good it could be. A 2 seater without all the extra room. Mileage wouldn't be leaps and bounds better but probably marginally so and it could park in smaller spaces. Perhaps a SMART and Prius mind meld? :)

10. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just watched the Spy Shots-Left Lane- video.

The whole "Cloak and Dagger" dance seems ridiculous. Seems to me, if you really don't want something to be spotted? You don't drive it through Wendy's Drive-Thru's wrapped in psychodelic Zebra cover.

Kind of suprising how rudimentary Toyota is in masking their vehicles. Looks like the dash has been camflauged using duct tape...

I especially like the part where the driver desperately tapes a piece of paper to the window...

You know for $2.99 you can buy a blind???

I'm very interested in this vehicle. My expectations, perhaps unfounded, are that it's NOT going to be a competitor to the Honda CRZ...

I think this is going to be a smaller sub-compact Hybrid. In really basic language, shortly the Prius will be available in 3 sizes..small, medium and large....

I would hope for decent perfomance...but I'm not expecting it to be designed or marketed as a competitor to the CRZ. My hope...is that it very simply becomes a hybrid competitor to other small sub-compacts, such as Fit, Yaris, Festiva,...

11. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's these kinds of posts that make me wonder about new engines. :)

http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-h...vel-next-gen-prius-engine-cut-costs-50-a.html

http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-h...l-efficiency-engines-in-next-gen-hybrids.html

12. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota makes 1L, 1.3L, 1.5L engines. IMHO the 1L and 1.3 L ultra low displacement.

I would say this ultra low displacement is just an unsubstantiated rumor. They may update one of those engines and make a "prius" version of it, but it seems like it would be less expensive to skip the development for now and pop in the 1.8L, share parts with the v, phv, and regular prius, but get more efficient and better acceleration because you are moving less weight.

The biggest reason to downsize the engine would be lower weight and smaller size. In order to have it be less expensive to produce the NRE would need to be shared with enough volume. I don't think that last thing will happen, but we don't know the toyota plan or cost. If you are going the smaller lighter route, you may do as they mentioned in the video article switch to Lion too. Doing a new engine design here to smaller displacement could be used in the Gen IV prius, so.... Lots of rumors, we will know the direction soon, but my guess would be on the 1.8L engine with a redesigned psd that saves cost.

13. billnchristy

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I think this thing is more compact than sub compact as well.

I don't know though because those lines have become increasingly blurred as compacts have become quite monsterous compared to "the days of yore".

14. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Totally! Park next to a Geo Metro or 1980s Fiesta and the GenII Prius looks like a Suburban. lol

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota's really making use of the 1.8 litre HSD (Prius, Prius v, Auris and CT). The question is whether they'll continue to use it on the Prius c but detuned even further or whether they'll use something like the 1.33 litre from the iQ or the new generation 1.5 litre. Either way, you can be sure it'll be shared with the Yaris Hybrid.

16. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

Well, Prius c is Auris sized so I cant see it not using 1.8l that Auris uses... as to the Yaris HSD... who knows?

17. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

Toyota Prius C Begins to Take Shape - Motor Trend

18. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

IMHO i think they are idiots :)

19. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    AWD? Seriously? That is so inefficient and not needed for the intended use of this car. Something isn't right.

20. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    1.5 liter ICE and Lithium HV battery? Hmmm