1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Squawker replacement for dummies

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by psteudlein, Feb 10, 2014.

1. psteudlein

psteudlein New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Remember – I am non-technical. I have tried to read as much as possible about replacing the dash speakers/squawkers and got some of it, and on others get lost . I am just looking for the simplest/easiest route possible.

I have already replaced the front and rear door speakers.

Current car and speaker info:
    2013 Prius, non-JBL system, 6 speakers no sub
    Stock HU (do not want to replace)
    Front doors = Infinity 9632cf 6x9
    Rear doors = polk dxi651 6.5 round

To be installed in dash = polk dxi350 3.5 round 90Hz-22kHz

From what I have read, the dash speakers and front door speakers are wired in parallel. There is a stock bass blocker on the stock squawker, but full sound/range goes to the front doors…correct?

I have gotten to and removed the stock dash speakers and have seen that the new dash speakers will fit with little cutting.

Is this the easiest/simplest things to do:
    In order to keep and use the stock wiring and plug, just remove the stock bass blocker and attach it to the new speaker.
    Will this do the trick?
    Or should I use some other type of bass blocker…inline capacitor to “+” side.
    If this is done, I am not sure on how to wire it all, if the stock plug is removed.

If I do have to buy an in-line bass blocker, what/which one would be best for the new speakers?
    Crutchfield has:
    (150 Hz cut-off)
    (300 Hz cut-off)
    (600 Hz cut-off)
    (800 Hz cut-off)
    …or other…

Plan for the future, towards end of year, is to have an installer put in an amp and sub.

Thanks for any and all help…Paul.

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    see my signature for diy docs.

3. psteudlein

psteudlein New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I did read your document for the dash speakers but my new dash speakers do not have a built in crossover, like you mentioned yours did.
    So I still have my original questions regarding the stock bass blocker or some new bass blocker.
    What might be easier or better suited for my situation?

Can I just do what you did, but put some new bass blocker from crutchfield between the stock plug and the new speakers?

4. lopgok

lopgok Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I put in a 200 microfarad non polarized electrolytic capacitor. My concern was that this would provide a lower impedance load to the head unit, and I fear the head unit may not like low impedance loads.

So what I did was install a 2 ohm resistor in series with both the squaker and the door speaker. This way the lowest impedance load the head unit will see is about 3 ohms. Since I now have a JBL-ms8, I will be removing the capacitor as well as the resistors.

It is nice getting a wider frequency range from the squaker, but I have no idea what would happen if I didn't have the resistors in place. Given the head unit is quite expensive, I decided it was cheap insurance.

5. psteudlein

psteudlein New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    lopgok,
    I believe my factory HU and stock speakers were all 4 ohms, and the new speakers are all 4 ohms...Is this something I should be worried about? I have the non-JBL version with 6 speakers.

Does anyone know what kind/level/range the stock bass blocker is?

If I was to go with a xxx microfarad non polarized electrolytic capacitor, which one would be appropriate for my new dash speakers (polk dxi350 90Hz-22kHz)?
    100, 150, 200, ...

For the other front and rear speakers, I assume I just want the full range going to them.

My concern now is if the stock bass blocker is ok or should I get a xxx microfarad non polarized electrolytic capacitor.

Thanks all for the help.

6. JGI

JGI Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The dxi350 is a coaxial 2-way driver. Usually, a coaxial driver will have its tweeter "internally" high passed already. As for the woofer part, the 150Hz hi-pass from Crutchfield will do.

The stock squawker has a cap soldered in, and you can definitely use that. Desolder it from the stock squawker and wire it in series with the coax. I have no idea what frequency it filters and personally I wouldn't use it.

FYI, the Prius speaker wiring goes like this: HU -> Dash Tweeter -> Door Woofer
    There is a set of wires from the HU that connect TO the tweets and THEN to the door speakers.

7. psteudlein

psteudlein New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    JGI...thanks for the info.

After doing more research and reading more to understand, I read that the stock bass blocker on the stock squawkers is 6.8uf (or around 6000hz).

I have decide to get some bass blockers from Crutchfield, but they recommend based off of speaker size, to get for 3.5 size speaker:
    (for low power system) 600hz
    (for high power system) 800hz

I did read my new speakers Polk dxi350, come with a 200hz bass blocker, but I don't remember seeing them in the box, but will recheck.