1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Squawker upgrade, help!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by spiderman, Mar 19, 2011.

1. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am currently in the process of upgrading the dash squawkers. There are four wires (two purple, two orange) leading to the OEM speaker on the drivers side. Now the new speaker only has two connectors.

1. Which two connectors do I tap into and
    2. Will the woofer still work if the connector is disconnected?

Thanks in advance!
    [edit] I confirmed that when the squawker is disconnected, the woofer is also. I tried to bridge a combination of the four wires but couldn't get the woofer working.

[edit] upgrade complete, see document in this post.

2 people like this.
  2. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    http://priuschat.com/forums/attachm...uality-fog-light-kit-now-available-img015.pdf

Hey Spiderman,

Short answer, you need all 4, +/+ & -/-, capacitor off the old squawker (side matched), and make sure new squawker is 4 ohms.

Youv'e seen this before. See pgs 1&2 and Color Chart at the end. The colors don't match but the wiring is the same. The door speakers and the squawker are wire in parallel. If you look at the old squawker, there is a capacitor soldered to it. This is a cheap cross-over. You will need this on your replacement squaker or a conventional type cross-over. This is for the frequency separation between the two. HU channel wires +/- to the cross-over then to the speakers (2or3) is normal. It might be better to replace both with component 2-way or 3-way speakers as I did. What ever you do though, I am sure it will sound great. Alot of us on this site owe you BIG TIME :thumb:. Thanks again.

1 person likes this.
  3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What was puzzling me is why the two pair... I looked real close and found out (like you mention) they are just two of the same, so I bridged the two sets to each other and the woofer works. So now I need to tap into the bridges for power to my new two-way pioneer speakers (3 1/2"). The speakers comes with a cap built-in.

Had one of the new speakers hooked up temporarily and it rocked... can't wait to get it all together tomorrow.

4. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Glad its comming together. I saw a thread not long ago about a 3 1/2". Take it they fit. So built in cap and no remote cross-over. Do I understand you got matched 2-way sets, or are you using the original door speakers? If you take the door panels off, use some Dynamat, Cache, or whatever. Big difference.;)

5. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, I am just replacing the dash speakers at this time.

Did you have that diagram in color? I need to make sure about the color and the polarity of the speaker wires.

Thanks!
    [edit] searched up a diagram and found the colors and polarity...

6. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Which model Pioneer and what differences do you notice from stock?

I plan to do a similar mod and am also interested in how the 3.5 inch Pioneers fit.

7. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ^ will let you know when I finish up (plan to document). The speakers are model TS-A878. I am having to trim the mounting hole a bit but not bad. I am using an Xacto knife!

8. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    B&W only, that's why I added color/letter chart to file. Link color print if you found one, when time.

9. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Success! The mod is complete. I am very happy with the new speakers... they did exactly what I wanted. The sound was rather muddled before but is quite clear and brilliant now. In fact, these new speakers but a lot more volumn in the front... I may just have to adjust the fader or get use to. I notice that they really help to balance out the sub in the rear. Attached is a teaser photo... I will document everything and add to my HU upgrade document as time permits.

Frodoz737, here is the link to the color diagram...

Attached Files:

10. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well done. A 2in1 tweeter? Going to file away the print now. Thanks.

11. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    They look good to me so I ordered a pair. Anyone interested in following Spiderman's example should be aware that the TS-A878 speakers are out of production and stores supplies are running out.

12. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That is good to know. No wonder why mine took so long to finally ship from Amazon. Too bad, they are rockin speakers for 3 1/2", really well built! Hope they have a similar model to succeed it.

13. putty

putty Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    just ordered a set, looking foward to your document,
    thanks!

14. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I can't find any other Pioneers that size. Thanks for the write-up or I wouldn't have ordered these.:cool:

15. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ^ that is a real drag... those are some real nice, well built 3 1/2" speakers. :(

16. summit123

summit123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had posted about this back in December. I had experimented with the different wiring combinations and figured out the correct connections. Basically, the two adjacent wires in the 4 wire adapter get connected. My post should indicate which is pos and neg

17. danvee

danvee Blizzard Brigadier

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hey, Spiderman- a question:

Since the Pioneers are 4 ohm and the originals are 2 ohm, did you find that they (dash/door combo) aren't as loud as the factory? Seems that they are in series, so there should be greater resistance, therefore lower volume.
    Was there more distortion at moderate to loud levels?

Thanks!:D

18. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi Dan,
    My original speakers were 4 ohms. Perhaps this is different with the JBLs? I don't think so though. These new speakers are quite loud and I am almost thinking I am going to have to fade them out a bit! They were also wired in parallel as before. See my new document! :)

19. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I finished up upgrading my dash speakers this weekend and added the document to the first post of my HU upgrade thread. Very happy with the upgrade.

Didn't have anyone proof the document so if you find errors, please PM me with the corrections.

Thanks and enjoy!

20. danvee

danvee Blizzard Brigadier

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My error, SM....:eek:

The JBL system is 2 ohms on the squawker and 1.8 ohms on the subs.
    I've got some more research to do......

Thanks!

1 person likes this.