1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Squawker upgrade, help!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by spiderman, Mar 19, 2011.

1. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Spidy - nice find.

How did they fit in the front holes - did you need to cut anything etc?

I've got a pair on order to play with (after J bolt is completed of course:cool:)

TIA!

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    LOL. I did have to cut out some of the hole to make em fit. I used an X-acto knife though... very soft material (I have pictures in the document I posted). Really like the speakers. Did you get the same model? Heard they are hard to find.

3. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Amazon.com - free 2 day shipping (premium member)...

Not sure how they will mesh with my MB Quarts (1.5" dome on the A pillars). I guess I'll run them parallel with the front speakers / MB cross-over and cross my fingers (for the price, it's worth a try - at minimum, I may just throw in an extra amp for them)... Of course, now I'll have to move the GPS and XM antennae...

4. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There are only 6 pair left in stock. BTW, there was this note on the order page
    "In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process."
    My Amazon Prime 2 day free shipping will arrive today, 3 days instead of 2. That's still good shipping time.

5. mainemanx

mainemanx Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Me 2 :)

Edit: What xs650 said...

6. mainemanx

mainemanx Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ordered Wed Afternoon... Amazon Prime w/free shipping. Arrived noon Friday! Last I checked, Amazon still had some... also at Parts Express.

7. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Going to install this weekend? Good luck!

8. mainemanx

mainemanx Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Spiderman, thank you for the encouragement... but I'm informed that I have higher priority projects in the queue :(
    Also, dittoes on the kudos you've received from others; your write-ups are exemplary! :hail:

1 person likes this.
  9. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Another option - the Infinity Reference 3032CF 3.5" speakers are also on Amazon (reg $99 - now $26 + shipping)... It's been reviewed fairly well......

10. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah, I see that Polk and BA also have a 2-way 3.5". But the Pioneers had the highest range that I could find (28kHz). Since I wanted to boost the high-end, the Pioneers were my choice.

But it is good there are other options out there.

11. danvee

danvee Blizzard Brigadier

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    FWIW, the Infinity speakers are out to 21Khz. I don't know about you guys, but my hearing was tested to top out at about 19K, so the difference between 21K and 28K would be lost on me anyway.
    Also remembering that we're not in our living room either, so ambient sounds would easily mask the difference if it were audible in the first place.
    Another interesting factor is that the Infinitys are more efficient than the Pioneers (88dB/watt vs 91dB/watt). That's a pretty significant difference, along with a 2 ohm impedance (which would make it a good fit in the JBL system which uses a 2 ohm squawker)

Just something to think about....

I'd probably do this if I had the guts to tear out the A pillars, etc. to get to them......

12. putty

putty Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Done!!
    spiderman thanks for the document, it really helps to follow along, the only thing different I did was reuse the blue Toyota speaker wire adapter (took off the crossover), it popped right off with a screwdiver, also I had no dremel to cut the speaker grill but the exacto knife did fine,

it really seems like there was no dash speaker before, this little speaker is loud!
    anyway thanks again,
    putty

1 person likes this.
  13. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    After I finished, I was thinking the same thing... why save those shoddy speakers anyway.

My sentiments exactly! Glad it went well.

14. Mac Attack

Mac Attack New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just finished replacing my Dayton Audio RS75-4 3" sqawkers:
    [​IMG]

With the 3.5" Infinity 3032cf's:
    [​IMG]

These are quoted as 2 Ohms, but it's Infinitys "True 4 Ohms." I used the 100uF cap that came with them to set the highpass at 400Hz for the 3.5" woofer.

At 91db/W-m, these are a lot louder than the Daytons at 83dB/W-m and they extend to higher frequencies too (21kHz as mentioned before). Can't go wrong for $40 shipped. They sound awesome, and all vocals and higher frequencies come way out at the base of my windshield now.

Install isn't very clean as you need to do some minor plastic trimming (but nothing that destroys how the old speakers would mount back up), and now I am going to remove the tabs on the black grille covers and affix them to the dash with just velcro. Shouldn't be able to tell once it's finished, and I can always buy new grille covers if necessary.

Thanks Spiderman for getting me thinking about replacing my Daytons!

Dave

1 person likes this.
  15. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Dave, so you had to remove the grill tabs in order to install these speakers? That is a good piece of information for those that use the Infinitys. I was able to position the pioneers such that I didn't have to.

Glad if worked out for you too!

16. Mac Attack

Mac Attack New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    After thinking about it a little more, I will just make some simple aluminum plates, cut out for the ~4" diameter speaker size, and cover them with UV-treated black cloth. These will just sit on top of the dash and be held in by velcro.

The reasons are:
    1) I would like to angle my sqawkers and make them more effective, and will need all the space under the grille to do so.

2) The OEM grille only has an ~2" diameter opening anyways for the sqawkers.

Dave

17. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just put my Pioneers in - there should be no reason to 'angle' the speakers - any way you look at it, you are listening to the reflection - which seems to be a pretty nice angle with the window.

18. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So what do you think? Did it improve things for you?

19. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    limiting frequencies (low) to the squaker replacement...

I put in the Pioneers, and they really add a nice balance (lucky - they are working fine with my MB Quart tweeter A pillar mount).

My problem is I'm running them paralleled with the MBs. The HU has the power to drive it - but clearly, there are low frequencies running at the squakers (you can hear them bottoming out on certain bass heavy tracks).

Any easy cheap ideas out there??? A simple 300uF cap in line with + should block frequencies above 130hz...

Don't really want to go the separate amp route (though I have a few laying around)...

20. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ^ how about an active crossover... don't have any idea how much the things costs though...