1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Squawker upgrade, help!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by spiderman, Mar 19, 2011.

1. yyyiiikes

yyyiiikes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you for the warning - much appreciated. AND thanks for the EXCELLENT tutorial!!!

1 person likes this.
  2. yyyiiikes

yyyiiikes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I started the squawker upgrade last night (much later than originally planned but that is a long story involving a mountain bike and a tree).

I have the Pioneer TS-A878 that many others have used.

Question #1 : How did you guys install the nut for the custom screw position. Neither the stock nut nor the one that came with the speakers will work without more cutting than what I see in the images by Spiderman and XS650. I am being cautious not to compromise the integrity of the original mount hole.

Question #2 : Several comments about the about the bass blockers... are the stock capacitors sufficient?

3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Didn't see this post until now. Sorry to hear about the tree thing.

IIRC, I used one of the original holes and screws and then used a self tapping screw into the dash plastic to do the other hole.

The cap came out with the OEM speaker. With that said, I have a high-pass filter set on the HU that limits the bass to the door and dash speakers. The sub takes care of the bass. But I wouldn't worry about the cap even if you don't have a filter, the speakers handle very will with the proper wattage.

Cheers

4. trentofdestiny

trentofdestiny Master Finagler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I noticed a severe lack of info on the JBL tweeter a while ago, so here is what I found: 2" ALUMINUM cone driver. I have pics if anyone wants to see. As with the speakers, I am now reconsidering replacing them. They look quite nice actually and are made in Mexico not China, Japan, Taiwan, etc. I do notice a slight lack of mid bass with the OEM DSP turned off but the music seems more real this way too. Maybe the MS-8 will fill this in and I won't need the 3.5" 2-ways from JBL (GTO328 - will be up for sale if I don't use them!). I have to see how they sound before I make them fit though.

EDIT: I tried hooking one up and DUH! The factory amp won't send mid bass frequencies to the tweeter! These won't do any good unless I have the MS-8 installed, so forget it lol.