1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Squawker Wiring Harness

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by dyrmaker83, Jun 3, 2014.

1. dyrmaker83

dyrmaker83 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to figure out if the Metra 71-035LC speaker wiring harness (spec'd for non-JBL Prius Two at Crutchfield) is all that's needed for the dash squawker/tweeter to maintain the stock parallel wiring. Crutchfield's vehicle-filter isn't always accurate, so if anyone knows of other harness models I'd love to hear it. Amazon lists the Metra 72-8104 harness for Toyotas, so I'm not sure if one of these are only for JBL system speakers in the Prius.

I've searched the forum extensively and most folks seem to maintain the parallel wiring with prongs or a spade connector, here, here, and here

It appears your Web browser is not configured to display PDF files. No worries, just click here to download the PDF file.

2. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are you running off the factory head unit, or amp? Note, that I believe there is already a frequency filter in line. So you may want to consider that or bypass it if you are installing your own filter.

I'm also piecing my parts together for my install. I acquired a used Alpine PDX-V9 5 channel amp and will run that off of speaker level outs likely through a PPI DEQ.8 DSP.

I'm pretty set on the Dayton RS180's also. However, I'm not sure if I will go with the paper cone or not yet as I haven't heard reviews/comparisons. If you are going to run off the factory head unit, are you sure it has enough power? As to the RS75's, you may want to check out the RS100. I believe if you look at the actual dimensions the RS75 is closer to 2" and the RS100 is closer to 3". For my dash I have actually been looking at the Faital PRO 3FE22, Fountek FR89EX or Tang Band W3-1364 if I go with a 3" full range. I'm undecided between the 3" or tweeter at this point.

3. dyrmaker83

dyrmaker83 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I may start out with the factory amp, but these are pretty insensitive speakers so I anticipate adding something small like the Alpine Power Pack or another speaker-level Class D 4-channel amp. I'm waiting to see some reviews of the Soundstream ST4.1000D.

There is a frequency filter for the OEM squawker, but it's hardwired to the speaker assembly after the factory wiring harness. I'll just add a new inline filter to the new speaker for simplicity.

I would point out that the dash speaker grills/covers only have a 2" (or so) opening, so any driver larger than the RS75 is kind of a waste. I don't know what sort of sonic implications that would have. The Dayton RS75 and RS180 seem to be well liked and are sonically matched speakers, which I hope means that they will not need much tweaking beyond the factory head unit's bass/treble controls in combination with the inline crossover.

4. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good point about the opening size. I took off the front speaker grill last night while I was wiring up my dash cam. The speaker and opening measured about 2.6 inches.

5. Grren4ever

Grren4ever Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Unfortunately I know didly squat about the electronics and wiring of the Prius but I do hope your install goes well. I've torn my hair out over confusion and illogical instructions so much that I've decided to let the professionals deal with my car.

6. psteudlein

psteudlein New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I am far from a electronics/car audio expert, but I did replace my dash speakers with 3.5 inch polk dxi350 speakers. I did have to cut/trim the plastic around the hole to get the speaker to fit, but it did go in. I also used the 300/400hz bass blocker that came with the speakers. I have a stock HU non-JBL unit and with and without an amp they sound great. It did move the sound stage more forward than it was before...I also replaced all the door speakers also. As far as the dash grill cover opening, I did not make the 2.6 inch hole bigger, but did have to trim the lip edge from underneath the grill cover so it would not hit the new speaker. I'm no sound expert, but I dont think the 2.6 opening hinders the sound at all...but there have been others that made it wider.

7. dyrmaker83

dyrmaker83 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just bumping to see if anyone has any info on the harness wiring question.

8. psteudlein

psteudlein New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    dyrmaker83,
    I will try and check when I get home. I don't remember, so I need to check the old dash speakers if I still have them. But I do not think those wire harness pics you provided will connect to the existing stock connector, that connects the dash and front door speakers...but I could be wrong. I will respond again tonight.

9. dyrmaker83

dyrmaker83 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since we're talking about speakers themselves, and while I'm waiting for more feedback, I thought I'd mention the whole reason I'm looking at the full range drivers. I've had component speakers in my last two cars, and pretty much hated the overbearing highs from the tweeters, even attenuated. I'm hoping the full range drivers balance out the sound. I'm a fan, having Orb Audio full range speakers for my home stereo. Those are amazing speakers for the size and money.

10. psteudlein

psteudlein New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I checked my old stock speakers but they did not have the original wire/plug/connector still attached to them. But looking at the plug on the old speaker and remembering that I used the spade connector method to connect my new dash speakers...I do not believe that stock connector would work. The original connector seemed longer and more narrow than your picture connector that is fatter and narrow. Also that picture of that connector only has 2 pins in it and I believe the stock connectors have 4 pins and 4 holes. I would just go with the spade connector, like I did, pictured in your 2nd "here" link. Hope some of this helps.

11. dyrmaker83

dyrmaker83 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That does, thanks for confirming!

12. trentofdestiny

trentofdestiny Master Finagler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I removed the plugs from the back of the factory squawkers, desoldered the capacitor, then wired in bass blocker caps to the 3.5 JBL speakers I put in the dash. This kept the wiring going to the door speaker.

13. MikeInOrlando

MikeInOrlando Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How did you know which of the four connection to combine the spades with?

14. trentofdestiny

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You connect the two wires with the same color together. And then do that with the other pair then

15. MikeInOrlando

MikeInOrlando Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Do you recall how many connections there are between the harness and the speakers? I am trying to figure out why it appears there are four connections for one speaker. I suspect the four are to maintain them in series instead of parallel so that the ohm load on the dash remains the same. Any thoughts on this? Thanks for your input.

16. trentofdestiny

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Nope, they are in parallel. Two into the squawker from the radio and two out to the door speaker.

The squawker plug is designed to pass thru both wires when it's attached. If you remove it there will be no sound unless you bridge the pins yourself.

17. Wums

Wums New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    im looking to replace my 2010 non jbl non nav unite dash ones with some tweeters i got with some old kicker speakers.