1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Squeak from brakes only in reverse..

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by PixelRogue, Oct 2, 2022.

1. PixelRogue

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    When using breaks (often quiet light) in reverse there is a squeak. No squeak going forward. Annual inspection was two months back an no mention of brakes

Anyone familiar?

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There's an automatic rear brake adjusting system related to rear drum brakes when they're in reverse... Is the noise coming from rear wheels? Twenty year old cars are supposed to make lots of noises!

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Drum brakes can have different types of adjuster, "reverse travel" or "parking brake" style. Prius uses the parking-brake style. Adjusting only happens when both the regular brakes and the parking brake are regularly used; one adjustment event happens if the parking brake is applied and released, and then the service brakes are applied and released.

The sound of the adjuster is a soft click. You can sometimes hear it if you apply and release the parking brake and then the service brake when you are parked in an extremely quiet area (but only if the clearance is above 0.03 mm at the time).

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    My 09 makes a squeak everytime brakes activated . Is very faint reg folks would not even hear it. They've never been touched just at 300K . My issue is dryed out everything back they're . Next few weekends will get changed. Then will be quiet

5. Siward

Siward Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I fiddled with my rear brakes quite a bit, but I would consider myself still a newbie. So I could only give you my educated guess.

I would guess that your brake pads are not new and are just barely right at the squeal bar somehow. It could be an evenly worn brake pad that is near the squeal bar. Or it could be a unevenly worn pad that is angled toward the squeal bar. Or it could be a loose/damaged squeal bar making contact.

Going forward pushes the pads downward (wheel spinning clockwise) and inward (with brake pedal).
    Going in reverse pushes the pads upward (wheel spinning counter-clockwise) and inward (with brake pedal).

Then again, it could be your brake pads rubbing against your brake hardware. Does this make a squeaking noise? I am not sure. It would be your upper brake hardware.

I would first figure out which wheel is squealing. Go in reverse and get helper to listen. Then I would inspect to see where the squeal bar is on the brake pads of that wheel. The squeal bar should be on the inner pad of the Prius.

6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I was thinking this was drum breaks in the rear US automobile not European disc model maybe.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, also this is in the Gen 3 forum, where the rears are discs in the US.

8. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    If this is a disc brake car the easiest and cheapest thing to do is change your rear pads It will cost you near nothing hopefully you're doing it yourself with some cheap tools from AutoZone I did mine without any issue and nothing special and then I was able to see how cracked and yucky my pads were because nobody ever looked at them before in 200,000 miles or something like that because they last forever because of the regen breaking yada yada yada okay well they don't last forever breaks are consumable. The material that does the stopping crack wears out dries out and gets disgusting I like to have new pads about every 2 years with my driving that's about 50k maybe 60

9. PixelRogue

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, have not had breaks replaced in over 10 years so guess this is the time, and get out now before it becomes discs as well. This being Black Friday, looking for deals on parts. What pads are recommended? Wagner is a name I know for pads from pure-Prius days. on am seeing Warner, ACDelco, Bosch, GoodYear, Anazon choice of Ceinauto, Bendix, Toyota OEM .. other smaller brands.

Probably will do all 4 - rear first, Give it enough time to make sure it works, then fronts,

——
    Recommendations on jacks?

#9 PixelRogue, Nov 25, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
  10. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the OEM pads have lasted that long, why not use them again?
    The Toyota dealers I buy from give a 10% Veterans discount, if you're a veteran.

11. PixelRogue

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    True.
    Without real knowledge, I sometimes question OEM parts purchased via third party..as if I will discover, after the wheels are off etc, that the pads I’m removing are not the same as the ones ordered. No logic in that, simply doubt built from past experiences (appliance repairs etc.)

#11 PixelRogue, Nov 25, 2022
  12. PixelRogue

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    What would be an expected price for all 4, to know what is too high etc (prices are all over?)

13. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There are a lot of fake chinese copies. They even copy the boxes.
    But if you go to Toyota, extremely doubtful you'll get fake parks.

14. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Main issue is that from a design & engineering perspective the part must function in an equivalent way and must be just as durable...

I run into too many people that want to apply a mystical-like quality to over-priced OEM parts when an identical aftermarket part is no different. Those people are annoying!

I'm all for logic, but I ain't gonna be no OEM fan-boy that illogically wastes tons of money!

#14 PriusCamper, Nov 25, 2022
  15. PixelRogue

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    This post will need to transition to maintenance sub shortly - how will you know the discs need replacement?

16. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I recently bought coated slotted dimpled x drilled rotors all 4 and ceramic pads from raybestos their import top line pads w homs and anti rattle components. All to my door less than 210 and been on car . 7 months non garaged still look great n silver no rust anywhere.

17. PixelRogue

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    How would you know if rotors are needed, short of obvious warping? For example I expect a wire brush to shine up any rusted rotor well. I'm looking to start the job in about a week.

18. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    No I wouldn't expect a wire brush to shine up any rotor Not really now maybe a rotating brown Scotch-Brite pad that'll remove a little bit of metal and remove gasket material off heads and everything got to be careful with it rotors are so cheap now I guess if it's worth your 28 to $33 to sit there and clean and all that sort of thing by all means cleaning isn't really the thing maybe running them across a brake lathe but now you've got to run down to a shop and have them blah blah blah. New rotors you'd be shocked at some of the cheap prices and they're not poorly made because they're inexpensive and from China let me tell you you may think so I only expect rotors from new to last about 4 or 5 years at most and then they have the lines in them in the little rust going on and what have you Even if they were costed. These parts are called consumables they're made to be used up and replaced That's why you hardly find a shop with a brake lathe anymore like tires you wear them out you replace them it's not a truck you don't take them and have them retreaded and regrooved and all that. But yeah clean with a wire brush and do all that and put back together and you'll have brakes not really much too brakes. As long as the caliper is attempting to squeeze the pads to the rotating rotor you'll have stoppage and now whether everything will be quiet and just like new well you're not putting it back like new so I don't know how anyone could expect that