1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Squeaking sound from rear axle/wheel

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Youngguns09, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Youngguns09

Youngguns09 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2 month old 2013 Prius v, recently I’m hearing a squeaking sound, a sort of rusty door hinge sound when staring the my Prius v every morning (or after parking it for around 7-8 hours or so) coming from the rear axle or wheels. Does someone know what causes it or what I can do about it? I have brought it to my dealer but it seems they don’t have any clue on what is happening (or they just don’t want to do the warranty on it).

2. Zedhomme

Zedhomme Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Do you set the parking brake every time you park? If so, there may just be some rust on the inner surface of the drum that is causing the noise. If it ends soon after you begin driving that may be it. May need to be adjusted or lubed a little bit. Especially if it sat on the lot for a couple months before you bought it . Make sure you totally disengage parking brake before driving.

Youngguns09 likes this.
  3. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    There are many threads around here on "brake groan". Your brakes are fine and functioning normally, they just happen to groan 1st thing in the day, especially when humid. If it bothers you enough, read up on it around here and act accordingly. Mine does it sometimes but it doesn't bother me a bit cause I know its a pretty common disc brake thing.

Youngguns09 likes this.
  4. Youngguns09

Youngguns09 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks guys....
    I brought it back with my dealer, the tech guys are saying that because Prius has a regenerative breaking system and doesn't much use its rear brake linings, & they are still doing an investigation on it. I'll do a follow up & post it here.

5. Youngguns09

Youngguns09 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    I've solved the groaning issue thingy w/ my PriusV (welll I think so). Don't know how but it works.
    When starting I make sure that I've selected the Power option first before moving.
    I've tried it many times already each morning for the past week and didn't hear the groaning sound that comes from the rear axle/wheel. Well I'm still in the process of trying this for another week or so.
    Cheers.... ;)