1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Squeaking sound from wheels during rolling start/Brake Noise (merged)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by nemrut, Sep 6, 2009.

1. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I managed to "fix" this on my own today.

Solution? Panic stop!

Caught a yellow light I felt would be better to stop at vs. blow through. The stop was hard enough to activate ABS and the smell of burning rubber. However.... since that stop, no more sqeaking upon roll-off or slow creep.

Cause? Probably some rust or glaze that typical stops just won't rub off. Mine only started after a dealer car wash, so that would make sense.

2. scottwyden

scottwyden new jersey photographer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I tried that on purpose but it still squeeks

3. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Funny thing is in a controlled situation (i.e. neutral braking), no dice. This was a stop from about 50mph.

4. scottwyden

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Oh I understand.. but I did stop from going really fast too

5. scottwyden

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Rick, did it come back or is it gone for good?

6. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    It came back a day or so later. So much for that one....

7. scottwyden

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Toyota should really figure it out at least for our ear's sake

8. dc202

dc202 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    IMHO, owners should get over it. It is NO BIG DEAL!!!:):D

9. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    FWIW, since Seattle has had rain, my squeak has disappeared.

You'd think the rust would be having a field day !

10. Taebopro18

Taebopro18 Prius Curious :-)

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ok, so I read ALL 13 pages of this post so far, and I'm surprised no one has mentioned the problem I'm having. I do hear the squeeking, but only when i REVERSE! It happens when i first turn on my car after it's been sitting a while, and reverse out of my parking spot. Once I put the car into drive, no more squeeking. Has anyone else had this problem?

11. scottwyden

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I dropped my Prius off for its first servicing.. I mentioned my rattles and the squeaking.. I'll report what they come up with.

12. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I hear it as well only in the early morning with cold brakes, it has nothing to do with overall external temperature. I had it on my previous car as well. No noise after braking once. I don't even notice it anymore and in any case the engine noise covers it during warm up phase after a few seconds I am driving. Never heard it with a warm car, that is, with warm brakes.

I think it is due to the last final brake one gives at the end of the drive, before setting it into park/turn off.

13. scottwyden

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My Prius was in for its first service this weekend. They said they couldn't hear the squeak (BS!) and everything looked good for each brake.

I think it's a lost cause

14. darenko

darenko New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Just picked up my Prius V from its first 5000 service and mentioned the squeek coming from my right rear wheel (for the last 3000 miles) and how the car has to be turned off for a few minutes to keep reproducing it. Sure cold weather and rain makes it happen more frequently.

To my surprise, they were able to reproduce it and in fact when I questioned about it, the tech acknowledged that a few other customers have reported the issue and that Toyota has told them to re-lubricate the brake system as the tech noted that the side I was having issues with was not properly lubricated. What you ask they lubricated? I don't have the report in front of me, but he told me they disassembled the break system, lubricated and out of all the cars reported with this issue, none have come back.

I will see if the fix actually worked when I pull out from work tonight as the car always exhibits the behavior when I leave and you can hear it in the parking garage for sure.

He said unless Toyota tells them otherwise, they won't do anything else for the scenario but re-lubricate.

1 person likes this.
  15. hotbrass

hotbrass New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It would be interesting to know what they lubricated.

16. darenko

darenko New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    So as not to leave you hanging, here are the notes from the invoice when I got my wheel squeeking fixed:

Concern - Customer hears a rotational squeak coming from the R.R. brake. Gets worse if there is moisture/rain. Started happening around 2k miles. Please inspect and repair as needed.

Cause - Verified noise from rear brakes, tech found lack of lubricant on rear brake support plate and shims.

Correction - Removed rear brakes--lubricated with brake grease, backing and support plate--shim kit as well. Re-installed and no longer making noise after repair.

As of my drive to work this morning and moving out of my garage, there is no more squeak. Hopefully this fixes the issue. If it comes back, I guess they can redo this again, but as I can hear this every day and have not heard it since, I hope this fix works for a long time.

I hope this helps all of you as I know how annoying the wheel squeak is and mine was very loud and happened after every time I restarted the car after being idle for more than a few minutes.

1 person likes this.
  17. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Well I think it's minor so possibly why it does not get mentioned. I notice mine each day does it for a little bit while backing out of the garage, down the driveway.

I did note though, that once driven and you back up later NO SQUEAK. So I suspect dampness, or something, but have no brake issues with my car at all.

So, I am not overly concerned at this point. Just will monitor. ;)

Similar to PAKITT's response.

18. hansgrason1

hansgrason1 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well, I'm not at all surprised! I have been to the dealer on two occasions in the last 5 months and neither time could they hear anything. We are sooo screwed!

19. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

it would be interesting if it goes away in another 5000 miles, or possibly get worse ;-). If the squeak is not that bad, dont get too worked up, it will take a while for them to figure it out... usually it could be dust clogging support plate/shims. It happened to european Auris for quite a while, took them a while to fix ;-)

20. hsiaolc

hsiaolc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had the same squeaking sound from one of the wheels dring rolling start from the very beginning. However, after a while it is completely gone now. Hope it doesn't come back.