1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

squeaking sound under my 2010 toyota prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by jude conlu, Jun 22, 2012.

1. jude conlu

jude conlu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I bought a 2010 prius 3 weeks ago and a squeaking sound came out after driving it for a week. The sound is like a wooden bed not screwed tight being shaken. My prius has 40000 miles on it and the warranty has expired already. I brought it to a toyota dealership and they could not find where the noise is coming from. I decided to bring it back to the dealership I bought it from and they also could not determine where its coming from. They said they need more time to find it. The squeaks often comes out in wavy roads and bumps and in both low and high speeds. I will be bringing my car this monday to the dealership again to get it fix. Anybody who have encountered the same kind of problem or have any idea where its cominbg would be greatly appreciated.Thanks.

2. jude conlu

jude conlu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I bought a 2010 prius with 40000 miles 2 weeks ago. After a week of driving a squeaky rattling sound from both front and back appeared. Its like a wooden bed not tightly screwed being shaken. I specially hear the sound on a wavy road and bumps both in low and high speeds. I brought it to a toyota dealership for a day and still they cant find where its coming from. I decided to bring it back to the mitsubishi dealership where I bought it and still they cant detemine where the sound is coming fafter a days diagnosis and testing. They said they need more time. This monday I will be bringing it back to them again. Does anybody encountered the same issue or have any idea on where its coming from. Any inputs would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

3. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The 2010+ Prii are know for interior squeeks n rattles, unfortunately, due to the use of thin plastics and clips instead of screws to hold everything together. The console bridge doesn't help, since when the body flexes going over bumps it twists everything slightly. Some don't have the problem, for others it can be a major issue.

Oops, I see you are a regular Prius owner. Well, same difference, it affects all models.

4. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The 2010+ Prii are know for interior squeeks n rattles, unfortunately, due to the use of thin plastics and clips instead of screws to hold everything together. The console bridge doesn't help, since when the body flexes going over bumps it twists everything slightly. Some don't have the problem, for others it can be a major issue.

5. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Moved to the appropriate Gen III forum and merged the 2 threads you started about this. It's best to have one thread instead of two about the same thing spread across the board.

I had a 2010 and had a few squeaks but with the radio on I didn't notice them so it did not bother me. Also, in the summer they left and in the cold winter they came back. People have been able to fix the one coming from around the cup holder. If you search there are some threads about it with pics of what they had to do to correct the issue.

6. cosgrove

cosgrove Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yeah, use of plastic (saves weight and increases milage) and clips (reduces manuf. costs) make for a squeaky rattlety vehicle. Guess we'll have to live with it until they come up with a different plastic/fastening system.

7. jude conlu

jude conlu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    im sorry. its my first time posting a thread. so how do you merge both of my threads. thank you

8. jude conlu

jude conlu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I dont think the squeak is coming from the inside. I think its from the suspension either front or back. Also when i make a reverse and when I turn the steering wheel it also creates the same squeaking sound. Any input would be greatly appreciated

9. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Does it seem to be coming from the right rear of the car? I had that creaking noise too which seemed to come from the outside. My dealer found it and solved it while still under warranty. Maybe on your next maintenance visit you can ask about it...it shouldn't be much to fix.

10. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Not a problem, and only a moderator can merge posts so no worries.

11. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    If it's a 2010 model I then it was a fleet vehicle, so no telling what kind of hell/neglect it was put through. As mentioned, your best bet it to have the dealer give it a good once-over.

12. Bernt Fartens

Bernt Fartens New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for all the comments! Same squeeling from front (thought it was right but ended up left) Wheel.
    a DIY-er myself, last week changed front struts & saved $$. This week was majorly bumbed thinking I had to pay a front end mechanic to correct my installation. Well after raising the front of the car and turning and spining the wheels. No sound or indications of loose strut bolts.. So after reading here about break shield with something stuck in it I checked it out and Halalulla!! a partial rived fell out. Told my wife about it and she said; oh buy the way a few days ago I ran over parts of a jack on the freeway :/