1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Squeaky" Dashboard

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mosesk, Mar 10, 2013.

1. mosesk

mosesk Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I very recently bought a 2009 Prius Gen 2 and immediately I have developed a problem which I will refer to as a "squeaky" dashboard. It really is more like a "rattle". It is not loud and best I can describe it is like soft raindrops.
    I did not notice it on either of the 2 test drives I took which were during the day.
    But I noticed it for the first time driving home from LA on the freeway a few nights ago and cruising along at highway speeds.
    If I dropped below 40 it would not rattle/squeak.
    The area from which it was coming is the right part of the dashboard- or more specifically the ledge above the dash.
    I was at the dealer the other day and one of the mechanics said they see this regularly and they usually solve it by taking the dashboard out and putting padding on all the areas where there could be rubbing and trying to insulate it better.
    Have any of you had similar problems?
    The first time it happened it ended up being very annoying because it was my first trip.
    I have not since taken a similar trip but I can tell that the squeak/rattle is there and it comes up when I go over a bump.
    I suppose I will take it into the dealer.
    They quoted me "2 units" or $270 to take the dash apart and try to dampen the sounds.

Thanks in advance for any input

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is a known problem... Try cleaning with an air compressor and high power nozzle... Also try some type of non-toxic cleaner/protectant on all the hard surfaces to lube 'em up (lemon juice and olive oil).

Or just give it some time...

When I first got my car '07 a year ago I had a similar experience but it quickly went away on its own.

3. mosesk

mosesk Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    PriusCamper- thanks for that input. The car has about 28,500 miles on it- don't you think it should have "loosened up" by now?
    And please elaborate on air compressor and high power nozzle.
    Where would I aim it?
    Lemon juice and olive oil
    YUM!!

PriusCamper likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think the mechanic is right on. taking the dash apart is a time consuming job, bur maybe the only alternative to lemon juice and garlic. :cool: if you don't want to diy it, pay the money, but demand a guarantee that it will solve the problem. all the best!

5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The tolerances between dash noise and no dash noise aren't far apart. Have someone else drive and pinpoint the noise and push the panels around that are making the noise while they are making the noise, maybe move stuff around with screwdriver in the gaps too... If that doesn't work go to an auto shop and get 'em to blast compressed air into the area. If that doesn't work inspect diagrams and then take parts of you dash that are related to the noise and add padding.

Easiest solution, ignore and it'll go away once the weather heats up...