1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Squeaky Gen 3 plastic interior

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by 134HP Bard Womyn Magnet, Jan 1, 2022.

1. 134HP Bard Womyn Magnet

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'm tall and my knee will sometimes rest on silver, semi-gloss plastic arm rest "extensions" on the door panel, the part that kinda wraps around the lock and window control switches. They squeak like a mofo! I feel like I can push my knee against it and feel it move or flex, but the piece itself does not seem loose.

Is this squeakiness endemic to the somewhat chintzy interior trim (mine is a 5, too) or is there something to be tightened/repaired? Prior owner had some minor accidents so I wonder if one or both front doors were disassembled and shoddily rebuilt or something.

Thanks for any tips that will reduce my experimental MacGyvering. Happy New Year-ish.

EDIT: Also, when I listen to somewhat bassy music, same area seems to rattle a bit. If I press on the whole assembly, the noise stops (meaning it's not a blown woofer in the door).

#1 134HP Bard Womyn Magnet, Jan 1, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2022
  2. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The colder, the more squeaks and plastic snapping. I’ve just resigned myself to this condition. Once the interior has warmed up the plastic quites down significantly. I’ve found the rubber door seals make a heck of a lot of noise against the smooth painted door jamb surfaces around the window frames. One thing you can do is lightly wipe the door seals with silicone paste to eliminate a lot of noise from the interior.

3. 134HP Bard Womyn Magnet

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thank you. For me, the real bother is just that trim. Really intrusive - I'm sensitive to sounds and the car already sounds like a cartoon spaceship with the braking, which I sorta like, but the door sounding like a dozen inflated balloons rubbing against a dozen takeout Thai food containers is driving me nuts! I was thinking of some rubber shims but maybe there's nothing to be done. FWIW I noticed this in the summer/hot weather too, so softening/expanding didn't seem to help much in my case.