1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Squealing/Rattling noise During Acceleration

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by 13Prius3, May 21, 2013.

1. 13Prius3

13Prius3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    2013 Prius 3 making a squealing or rattling noise when accelerating after car is warmed up. It only does it when the car is up to temperature and when you accelerate slightly harder, like going up a hill or something. It sounds like a pulley or something squealing. It has been to the dealer and of course they couldn't duplicate the noise or see anything wrong. Not to sound funny, but it actually sounds like a hamster running on a wheel. It is very annoying. It is not a constant noise, it only happens under load. It gets louder when the ac is on as well. If you let off the accelerator when it starts the noise goes away. I don't know of it matters but our car has the forged 17" wheels on it from the factory, and the car has 8600 miles on it. Anybody have any ideas/TSBs on this issue? Thanks in advance!

2. 13Prius3

13Prius3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  3. Lawrence S.

Lawrence S. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I have the same issue with my 2013 Prius 3. I have heard it since i bought it and just thought it was a bad batch of gas, now after several fill-ups at different stations, I still hear it....under moderate acceleration when in the RED power zone of the graph....revving higher makes it go away and it doesn't happen in the ECO section at all. Sounds like a pinging, knocking...almost like a baseball card in a bike wheel sound...Happens when fully warmed up. Service manager heard it and told me "this is how the Prius sounds since its not like a regular car" and I just don't agree. I even tried 89 octane this tank and that didn't help. Any ideas???

4. ssinner2466

ssinner2466 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have a 2013 Prius V-5. Once the car warms up and you accelerate hard (accelerating on a freeway on ramp, going up a hill), there is a "ticking" sound. It's not loud, but I can hear it. I took it to the dealership and of course they didn't hear it when they tested it. Frustrating...

5. riceroni87

riceroni87 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I sometimes hear this as well. Only when going uphill. Changed fuel to 91 octane and it didnt change anything still hear it. Havent taken it to the dealer yet though

SCH-I605 ? 2

6. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2010 has this rattling noise on full power acceleration. It's not pinging, at least doesn't sound like pinging in a normal engine. It could be normal I guess, since other owners hear it. It's actually a similar sound to that what you get when braking to a stop (the last couple MPH) on a curve and downhill.

7. Lawrence S.

Lawrence S. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Maybe it is not really a "pinging"...maybe a "fluttering" sound. After my original post 3 weeks ago, changing gas brands and octanes and an oil change did not help. I did not hear it on my friends 2010 Prius (with 15k miles). I am just hoping it will "go away" eventually. It does not happen all the time....only when fully warmed up (+190F water temp) and moderate-hard acceleration (middle of power bar). Obviously, this car is not designed to be driven hard so I can ignore it but it is still annoying.

8. ggurll

ggurll Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I just started noticing these rattling noises after I took my car in for the brake booster pump recall on the 19th. I have over 48k miles on my car and I don't remember it ever being this noisy when it goes from batt to gas when parked. The noise also happens when the car's engine begins to kick in on eco mode. I don't really hear it if I drive faster or release the gas pedal. I have yet to try full pedal acceleration as I haven't driven on an open freeway for long distances lately. I was thinking the dealership I took my car to for the recall did something but I wanted to do a little research before I go back and find out there's nothing they can do.

Mike K Dallas likes this.
  9. VicVinegar

VicVinegar Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    All I have is a slight rattle that seems to come from somewhere on the passenger side when I'm into the throttle.

Not sure if we are discussing the same thing, but it kind of annoys me to have that only 1.5 months in and my faith in any dealer to track it down is about as high as my faith that I'll get a random check for $5M in the mail today.

10. Jerry Shaw

Jerry Shaw New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2006 Prius that makes a ticking/rattling sound when accelerating normally. Slow acceleration and idle is fine. Not sure about WOT as I have never gone WOT on my Prius.

11. VicVinegar

VicVinegar Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'll update my rattle to say it only seems to happen when I get into it between 20-50 mph. If I am going 60 and hit it to pass, I'm not hearing a rattle.

12. Jerry Shaw

Jerry Shaw New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There's too much road noise for me to hear it at that speed. Is the sound only slight or faint, or is it loud and very noticeable?

13. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There were lots of similar complaints on the 2010s for having a buzzing rattle sound on the passenger side, but you have a 2013. Can you make the noise happen if you throttle up to the 3/4 mark on the HSI and then back down a bit? If so, it might be a one-in-a-million chance you also have a bad fender clip. We thought Toyota had fixed that problem years ago. There was even a TSB for it.

14. VicVinegar

VicVinegar Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Its noticeable to me with music playing. I wouldn't call it "loud" though. Loud enough to be annoying.

I'll have to see where it is on the HSI. I think it is exclusive to the PWR section of the gauge. ICE needs to be spun up and like I said, for some reason in the 25-40/5 or so speed range.

15. phoenixgreg

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is this your noise?

16. Jerry Shaw

Jerry Shaw New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I found out that the "rattle" was just the normal sound of a Toyota 4 cylinder. I'm very happy to know that there is nothing wrong with my car. I do have a slight dashboard rattle, but it doesn't bother me. I'm just happy to go 350 miles on 18 dollars of gas. :)

17. Jerry Shaw

Jerry Shaw New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, my problem was the gas that the dealer put in. Now my car is running on the mid-grade gas that I put in and the car now purrs with no rattle sound from the engine.

18. mycnam

mycnam Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, sometimes I got this too!

Nexus 4 ? 4

19. mycnam

mycnam Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Which TSB is it?

Nexus 4 ? 4

20. phoenixgreg

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This should be the TSB: T-SB-0064-12. Do a search on this forum to see if it addresses a right fender clip (defective on 2010s). I see you are not the OP here but you can always try for warranty. My guess is unless you just bought your 2010 used from a dealer, you may have to pay for this one.

Former Member 68813 likes this.