1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Squealing sound 2007 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Rikabi, May 27, 2019.

1. Rikabi

Rikabi New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    Hi guys,

I am new here :)

So i bought a used Prius 2007 t3 with 100k and fully service history for my wife. And it drives a dream even considering its age! I am considering selling passat cc and getting one instead !

However we noticed a sqeeling sound coming from the front tyres. It happens randomly, not very often. At low speeds or if i turn. It happen without brakes being applied. If i speed up it tend to disappear

I got a video here with sound :

Ive been told to change brakes+pads but with no guarantee the sound will go.

Any ideas?

2. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Which ever wheel is squeaking, before jack the tire up off the ground, unplug 12v ground cable. Remove the wheel and get to the caliper tonchecknand see if a rock is between the pad and rotor. Then pull the caliper pins, wipe clean and lube them. Hopefully it’s semi seized caliper pen that needed lubing.

Do that first if want to avoid new rotors and pads.

Rikabi and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. Rikabi

Rikabi New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    I would like add I didn't have the confidence to complete the above, so I got a mechanic to change pads/rotor for both front tyres (£100) and now I squeak free :)