1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Squeals after brake replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by chocolatemint, Jan 27, 2015.

1. chocolatemint

chocolatemint Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I recently had my front brakes replaced with new rotors and pads at a Firestone dealership in my hometown for half the price the dealer said it would charge me, a service that cost me $280. I knew that I was compromising for inferior parts and Toyota Prius expertise, but I was willing to for the savings. Anyway, my new brakes squeaked from the get-go whenever I came to a slow stop and only just before the car came to a stop. It wasn't that annoying, so I decided to see if it would go away. It didn't, and I took it back the the Firestone dealership. The mechanic quickly discovered that the "brake hardware" was old and needed to be replaced. And that seems to have done the trick. My question is, SHOULDN'T NEW "BRAKE HARDWARE" BE INCLUDED IN THE NEW BRAKE SERVICE? The hardware I learned include springs and clips, essential to good working brakes, but mere pennies in cost. You'd think they would be included in the original replacement kit. After all, what's the point in replacing the main brake parts if a few old springs and clips might ruin the job?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, they should have. but you already know why they didn't. otoh, the same thing could happen at the dealer for twice the money.;)

3. prinut

prinut Pri Nut

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Squealing of the brakes could be caused by the mechanic not applying the anti-squeak grease/paste at the back of the brake pads to 'fill' the gap; this in turn helps prevent the pad from vibrating thus causing the squeaking noise. Do a google search to find more solutions. Did they charge you for the installation of the brake hardware?

4. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I was curious why you needed a brake replacement in the first place, so I was going to ask how many miles the original brakes. Then I noticed your vehicle is a 2004. You are posting in the Gen III (2010+) Prius section. We have a 2005 with 140K miles, and no brake issues at all. I attribute this to the Prius using regen braking most of the time, saving wear on the friction brakes. That's why I was shocked to see someone asking about brake replacement on the Gen III Prius.