1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SRS light on (sort of) and B181 Code

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by docproteus, Sep 24, 2015.

1. docproteus

docproteus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A few days ago the red SRS light went on in my Prius. Didn't notice anything else and nothing to speak of as far as fender benders, anything interior etc. Drove for about two days with it on solid and finally got a moment to take it to the dealership. I pulled it in and dropped it off and they called a few hours later to tell me the light wasn't on when they got in. They checked the codes and found a B181 code had been thrown (is that the way to say it) and that they thought maybe the spiral cable was problematic but didn't want to change anything without knowing. Picked it up, no charges and they assured me that the air bag system/restarint system all checked out and was working fine. No light on now. Kind of flummoxed. Any thoughts?

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There should a forth number to the code given that tells which air bag circuit has the fault and if it is an open or short circuit. For instance (B1810) = short circuit in drivers side squib, (B1811) = open circuit in drivers side squib. Squib being the term used for each of the airbag deployment circuits.
    The most common fault is a loose connector under one of the front seats. With the ignition off make sure all the connectors under the seats are firmly home. They can easily get disturbed while cleaning under the seats or by objects pushed under the seats from the rear.
    Sometimes just moving the seat position is enough to cause or remove the fault.
    There are only 8 (B181-) codes and all relate to open or short circuit squib circuits.

John

#2 Britprius, Sep 24, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
    valde3 likes this.
  3. docproteus

docproteus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great info thanks. I'm trying to get more info but not hearing. Good to know though that it could be from something as simple as the seat. I'm 6'4" so with my wife driving the seat gets moved constantly. Will pop back in if I hear more. Thanks

4. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If you have a Windows lap top I would really recommend purchasing a Mini VCI (off Ebay or Amazon about 25$). This will give you the ability to read all of the Prius codes yourself "in fact any Toyota ,Lexus, or Scion vehicle" and clear them. This gives dealer level of diagnostics.

John

5. docproteus

docproteus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, I had no idea. THought those were pretty pricey! I'm a mac guy but I could easily borrow a laptop here and there. Looked on amazon and saw more than a few. Are they all relatively the same thing? Any you'd suggest over another? Assuming it's pretty self explanatory? Thanks for the tip.

6. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You can run the VCI on a Mac using "Boot Camp". As long as it say's Mini VCI with Techstream that is what your looking for. Techstream "the software can be downloaded hear at PC or from the net" but the VCI normally comes with it on a CD. An old windows laptop with 32 bit XP is the quickest to setup but it can run on later 64 bit Windows 7,8, or 10.

John.

#6 Britprius, Sep 27, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a MacBook Pro and use Mini VCI with BootCamp running Windows 7, 32 bit OS. It is not easy to get Mini VCI to run using a 64 bit OS.