1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SRS Warning light illuminated after husband jerks violently in passenger seat?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by AKCMommy, Aug 5, 2007.

1. AKCMommy

AKCMommy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My husband was messing around and while I went over a speed bump, he jerked violently pretending that I had gone over the bump faster. Right after he stopped, the SRS warning light went off and the light that said that the airbag was on for the passenger seat switched to off. The book says to take it to a dealer immediately but the service department is closed until Monday. Is there anything I can do in the interim?
    How much is his joke going to cost me at the dealer? I just had my 1st oil change at 4700 miles.

I have a vehicle that shows the trouble codes if you turn the ignition on and off a certain number of times. Does the 07 Prius have something like that?

Thanks!

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    okay. don't say a word about this story when you take it in. just say the light came on. seriously.

it's possible that he could have damaged the weight sensors for occupant classification, which are built into the seat frame on the passenger side. the sensors are non-replaceable. seats are expensive. so like i said, just say the light came on...

maybe it's just a freak coincidence, who knows. or maybe he jarred something inside the side airbag.

the 07 prius doesn't show you codes without a special reader.

edit: one more thing, if something gets jammed under the seat hard enough to push up on the seat frame in the middle area, that can set a code too. anything under the seat?

3. AKCMommy

AKCMommy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Nothing is under the seat that was not built into it from the factory.

I was thinking of telling them that i was driving and suddenly the light came on. Is that sufficient?

4. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AKCMommy @ Aug 5 2007, 11:51 AM) [snapback]490932[/snapback]</div>
    You might as well tell them that your husband was riding in the passenger seat and the light came on after you went over a speed bump at a reasonable speed. At least this gives them a couple clues of what to look for beyond you were just driving and the light came on.

5. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    going down road
    noticed light came on.

nothing else. the diagnostic codes will tell them where to go.

6. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Did the SRS warning light stay on after you powered the car off and powered back on again? I'm thinking that maybe when he jerked violently off the seat, the ECU got confused because the weight changed drastically.

If its still on Monday morning, then I would take it in.

7. jimmylozza

jimmylozza New Member

Don't jerk violently!

Can't...

stop...

laughing...

8. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AKCMommy @ Aug 5 2007, 01:56 AM) [snapback]490787[/snapback]</div>
    "Smack your husband in the back of the head" comes to mind. :D

Seriously, listen to Galaxee. Sometiems it's important to remind everyone that G is our resident Prius Service Tech (and/or his wife from time to time). Listen to them.

Driving, Light, Manual, What's wrong?

9. Bear68

Bear68 Member

Just verify here, the light that you are seeing is the SRS warning light right? Not the Passenger Airbag On/Off indicator? I know that sometimes when a pakcage (briefcase, backpack etc) is on the passenger seat and you hit a bump it can cause the indicator to change from on to off. If you are seeing the red warning light (looks like a little person with a big bubble in front of their face) definitely have a dealer check it out as soon as possible. Most likely the OCS system zero point was affected. (Occupant Classification System) It tells the SRS ECU how heavy the person on the passenger seat is, so the SRS knows whether or not to activate the passenger airbag. In the event of a failure, the system is disabled.

10. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    See if this is still happening after four reboots. [Without someone,
    uh, jerking in the shotgun seat, that is. Eww.]
    _H*

11. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What was your husband jerking violently? Maybe the SRS light came on to let him know it was time to put in another quarter.

Hope those seats are Scotchguarded... :lol:

12. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Aug 9 2007, 11:30 PM) [snapback]493367[/snapback]</div>
    Does he have a DVD player hooked into the MFD? :p

13. AKCMommy

AKCMommy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The dealer told me that the air bag sensor needed to be recalibrated. They did that for free.
    Thankfully, it wasn't a more expensive repair.
    And yes, I slapped my husband in the back of the head for the sheer pleasure of it! LOL

14. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ah, that's good. no new seat required :) sheer pleasure? he deserved it!