1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SSC-50P letter &now have check engine light

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by rewinder, Nov 5, 2005.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Rick,
    Would you be so kind as to make a posting when Toyota has finished "checking into that concern" and there's a 100% consistant/reliable flash and THHT software verson up and running.

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    rewinder- so how did it go? car all fixed now?

evan- their 'fix' was to just revert back to the previous scantool software version, which was running fine. the ecu flash was all right. i'm just getting back to some old posts and noticed this wasn't answered. so, unless a particular dealer hasn't done that or isn't aware (which surely is a possibility, let me tell you) things should be taken care of by now. or so we hope!

3. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Evan. As galaxee noted, we have to use the previous software on our scan tools for all reflashes, hybrid or other. The only time we need the newer version right now is for the 06 Rav 4 and 06 Prius to diagnosis them. No reflashes with the newer version. Maybe a while till we here otherwise or maybe they are going to wait and correct it in the next version, :unsure: .

4. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Gee... there are so many of these SSC 50P threads, I don't know where to put this.

Just a note for those who checked their VIN and called Toyota. Back in October when the campaign was first announced, I checked my VIN number against the available list and found it was not included on the list. I called the Toyota 800 number that same day and they confirmed that my vehicle was not subject to the campaign (see my earlier post).

Nevertheless, a month later I received the official SSC 50P letter from Toyota, so I guess my Prius is included in the campaign. So don't be surprised if you get a letter even though Toyota told you over the phone that your Prius wasn't affected.

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Rick,
    Just out of curiosity, what safeguards are in place to assure that a tech doesn't accidently grab the THHT with the newer software and try to do the flash with that? Not fixing it in the current version of the software seems to be begging for trouble unless there are some very good safeguards in place.

6. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

Doc-

So far the 06 Prius and Rav4 haven't even been seen at most dealerships, if any. And as a funny side note, H told me that after all this mess, every tech 'better damn well know to take a second look' before doing a reflash if they know what's good for them! :lol:

I asked about policy where H works: it is, keep the old version and update if you need the new version for something. Then go back to old version when you're done. I bet it'll be different everywhere you go. By the time both vehicles in question are widely available I bet they'll have a new, fully functional software version out.

Still waiting on new model info for the 06 Rav4... will be interesting to check out.

-g

7. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There is no safegaurds to make sure the tech doesn't use the wrong program.It is noted on the TIS home page not to use it for reflashing.Lets just hope all the techs by now know about the problem. My service manager was emailed as soon as Toyota knew something was wrong and let me know,in turn I let the others know.

8. IFixEm

IFixEm New Member

I lost one last week because a lot kid got something out for a customer, and either he or the customer shut off the ignition trying to be helpfull.....everyone knows the prius batts go dead quickly with the ignition on......fatal reprogram error. Nobody noticed the scan tool reprograming, or the charger I guess. I made up Big red signs and now I do not go test drive other issues or help my guys while doing the re-flash. I gaurd the car with a big assed hammer.
    Regards, Mike

9. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

:lol: good plan!